Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Dd 10 been referred to orthodontist what can i expect?

(12 Posts)
lexcat Wed 08-Jun-11 22:15:40

Dentist did tell us about 6 months ago she would almost definitely need orthodontic work when she was older. Things have changed now as dd bottom jaw was very crowded with a tiny space for a missing tooth. Now she's lost another tooth and the space has gone but she'd still missing a tooth. Her top jaw is also very crowded but no teeth missing.

I always thought they wait till all the adult teeth are present, but the worry is that dd tooth has no space to come through. Can they do anything or more to the point do they do any thing at this young age.

ReadyToDrink Wed 08-Jun-11 23:22:52

Speaking from my experience with orthodontistry, I had 4 teeth removed - adult teeth in my case, to make room for the remaining teeth (mine had all come through, but there was overcrowding & it was uncomfortable). That was done in two sessions with my usual dentist (for the right side, then the left side on another day so I could still eat on one side) with local anaesthetic. They might want to do something like that to solve the space issue with your DD.

The teeth they removed for me were pretty much in the middle of the sides of my mouth, if you see what I mean. One of the first molars on each side, or something, I'm not sure grin It left a gap that meant that I could pretty much hold a pencil between my teeth with my mouth closed, but it closed up very quickly when the braces were put on (in my case almost immediately after the extractions had healed) & the gaps weren't that visible anyway, due to the location. The aesthetic issue may be the most important to your DD wink

I found braces to be really painful, to be perfectly honest. When they were first put on, then every time they were tightened after that - having teeth dragged across your mouth isn't a comfortable procedure. However my teeth are now perfectly straight (I still get an odd satisfaction from biting into an apple & admiring the bite mark blush grin) & overcrowding is often increasingly uncomfortable in itself. I would recommend having the treatment, definitely - just prepare yourself to be very sympathetic & have ice cream on hand wink

lexcat Thu 09-Jun-11 07:14:40

Thanks readytodrink sounds very like myself but I was 13-14 at the time not 10. Plus I had my adult teeth by then, where as dd still has lots of baby teeth.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 09-Jun-11 07:40:43

DD has seen the orthadontist twice. The first time he took xrays and photographs of her very overcrowded mouth, analysed them and sent us off for her to have four teeth out. The second time he did the xrays and photographs, told us she had more room now and sent us away.
I think we wasted around 1500 euros TBH, on the other hand, her teeth seem to be very happy in her mouth and don't want to go. She is 10 and so far has lost 4 teeth naturally and 4 to the dentists.
Once we are back in England I will try to get her a dentist and see what they recommend.

howabout Thu 09-Jun-11 07:51:50

My 10 year old DD went to the orthodontist recently on the recommendation of the dentist as she has a very overcrowded mouth. They had a quick look around but advised waiting until fewer baby teeth and more adult teeth. Apparently the current view is that removing baby teeth to make room for adult teeth just messes up the natural spacing and can create as many problems as it solves. I did indicate that I would prefer no treatment unless absolutely necessary though.

lexcat Thu 09-Jun-11 20:30:14

Why are children been referred so early on if the general view is to do nothing. Mind wouldn't be to happy dd having baby teeth unless it was essential.

menopausemum Thu 09-Jun-11 20:33:05

My dd saw an orthodontist at 10 and had 8 teeth removed in the local hospital which we were very worried about. She is now 18 and has near perfect teeth (and has had for about 3 years) so for us it was a positive experience. If in doubt talk to the orthodontist about what would happen if she doesn't have the work done and then you can make an informed decision.

PinkEmily Thu 09-Jun-11 22:09:36

Hi Lexcat, I hope I can reassure you.
My daughter is 12 and started orthodontic work at 10. She had an undershot jaw (where her bottom teeth overlapped the top) and later on, crowding like you describe - undecended teeth showing on the x-ray but no gap at all to come down into. I was fully expecting her to have to have teeth removed and I was dreading it.

When she was 10 she had a removable plate to push outwards her top two teeth to get her bite the correct way round.

16 months ago (at 11) she had what is called a 'quad' - a permanent fixing across the roof of her mouth attached to her 4 molars to expand her jaw outwards to create more room.

12 months ago in addition she had the traditional tracks to straighten the newly descended teeth.

The quad came off a couple of months ago and in 6 weeks time the rest comes off. Her teeth are really straight now and I've been amazed at how fast and effective they've been.

Apart from a few minor issues adjusting to them at the start, her treatment has been unproblematic and painless, the most inconvenient thing has been the to-ing and fro-ing from school every six weeks to be honest!

I think it's amazing what they can do with teeth nowadays, DD's problems were quite severe but now, at almost 13, they look lovely.

Hope some of this helps you x

somersetmum Thu 09-Jun-11 22:18:43

ds was referred over a year ago and will get his first braces fitted at the end of this month.
I think that the reason children are referred so early is because, although the rules have been heavily tightened, it is still possible to have treatment funded by the NHS. It was agreed at ds's first appointment that the work would be done on the NHS, and funding was allocated. It is a good idea to go and get assessed before the rules are changed again (Not that there is anything to suggest that they will be, but you never can tell in these difficult times).

inthesticks Fri 10-Jun-11 15:19:16

DS2(13) was referred at 9 because his lower teeth overlapped the top. In boys in particular this can get much worse as their jaw grows in puberty.
He had to wear a removable plate with springs behind the top teeth for about 18 months. It wasn't painful but was very unpleasant for him. At 13 they all have tracks and so it's not unusual but it's rare at 9 or 10.

Anyway it did the trick. Then we had to wait until all his adult teeth were through which they now are. They have come through lovely and straight so he doesn't need any more intervention.

sarahtigh Fri 10-Jun-11 17:46:24

the age of referral to orthodontist depends on what the problem is some problems need to be treated earlier than others,
generally the ideal time is the onset of puberty to co-incide with growth spurt, orthodontics can be done later it just takes longer rules vary as to NHS treatment usual postcode lottery NHS orthodontists in short supply to

ortho requires commitment it is an appointment every 6 weeks for 18months to 3 years obviously as nearly all patients are kids they can not all be seen after 3.30 so be prepared for 11am appointments

not commenting on particulars of this case as am a dentist not an orthodontist but if you have been referred early i would assume its necessary as your dentist would not be popular with overworked orthodontist if he/she referred patients early unnecessarily. braces are uncomfortable when you first get them DD will lisp for a few days and initially eating will be hard but within a few days she will master new technique, just to state the obvious her oral hygiene will need to be immaculate as no-one wants a perfectly straight row of teeth with decay where the braces were.
sometimes you have to extract baby tooth to stop adult tooth erupting in wrong place but baby teeth extractions are rarer it is easiest to extract adult teeth about 2 months after erupt so enough to hold onto but root not fully developed so come out easier than if left longer

hope that helps

lifeohlife Sun 12-Jun-11 05:18:07

dentist told me that kids' jaws widen as they get older especially in girls and so altho there is overcrowding now in dd1's mouth (10), they'd prefeer to wait to see if it sorts itself out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: