Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Don't want to see Daddy?

(6 Posts)
Chezabelle101 Wed 08-Jun-11 18:28:46

I have a five year old whose father I separated from when she was 3. Until very recently she has seemed to have adjusted to the situation without too much distress (he had been away for up to 3 months at a time since she was born) but when she last saw him she told him she didn't love him, didn't want to see him, that she wanted only me and that he should go back home (he lives overseas). I have spoken to her a little about why she feels like this but didn't want to push it with her but she only said " I just want you Mummy".

Any ideas as to why this may have come about (she/he hadn't reported any major incident).

Thanks

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 08-Jun-11 18:33:32

My DS gets like this when he hasn't seen his dad for a while. What does your instinct say?

TotallyLovely Wed 08-Jun-11 21:57:39

She probably feels like she hardly knows him. They do say things like that though without it necessarily meaning anything.

I wonder if she might be feeling insecure and so only wanting mummy.

Chezabelle101 Thu 09-Jun-11 23:26:59

Thanks for the reply. I think it could be that she is suddenly grasping the situation perhaps. I've been recommended a book called The huge bag of worries which apparently helps to teach a child how to deal with difficult feelings.

TotallyLovely Fri 10-Jun-11 12:43:16

Ooh I'm going to look that book up!

Chezabelle101 Sun 12-Jun-11 14:22:37

Hope it helps, I've ordered mine. My little girl is seeing her Dad today and seemed much happier to go. I did tell him that if she wants to come hope then he needs to let her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now