Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

nappy rash in 5 month old - bit young?

(24 Posts)
ScarlettButler Wed 08-Jun-11 16:18:34

DD has horrible nappy rash come up today - shd i be worrie? been blasting it w sudocrem but i thought that u didn't really get nappy rash til 6 months plus
she had lots of dirty nappies y'day and first bath w baby bath bubbles sunday - cd either of those caused or isit likely to be an infection?

amberleaf Wed 08-Jun-11 16:20:53

Normal IME

get some Fullers earth powder-it clears it up amazingly quickly!

cgi.ebay.co.uk/200g-Fullers-Earth-Powder-Cosmetic-Grade-/290567690237?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies&hash=item43a72f17fd

Madlizzy Wed 08-Jun-11 16:26:10

If she had lots of pooey nappies yesterday, then that could very well have caused it. Not sure where you heard that babies under 6 months didn't get nappy rash! If it's really bad, avoid sudocrem as it stops the skin from breathing. Lots of nappy free time is really good, and either fullers earth powder as suggested or metanium cream. If nothing else works, then a trip to the gp would be in order.

RitaMorgan Wed 08-Jun-11 16:27:46

Nappy rash is usually caused by urine and faeces irritating the skin, so can happen at any age.

Occasionally it can be a fungal infection like thrush.

I have found metanium is great for nappy rash. Just change her often, use cotton wool and water to clean her and dry her thoroughly. Try to give her as much nappy-free time as possible.

Snarfle Wed 08-Jun-11 18:17:44

My ds had nappy rash at a few weeks. Sudocrem, i found, didn't do much and we were advised against it by the midwife. We now use bepanthen which is great!!

hugeleyoutnumbered Wed 08-Jun-11 18:39:14

let dc kick around on changing mat with no nappy on, sounds like its yesterday's nappies, chande the nappy a little more offen too, also use talc and vasaline works a treat and cheep as chips

ScarlettButler Wed 08-Jun-11 18:46:06

thanks i will ditch the sudocrem then!

TotallyLovely Wed 08-Jun-11 21:56:02

We use Metanium and it's the best thing by a mile! My 2 both suffered (from tiny babies) and it's the only thing that ever helped. They sell it in Boots. At other times I use lots of talc to keep the area dry and help prevent another sore bum.

Where did you get the 6 month thing from?

shivster1980 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:18:04

Metanium is fabulous - hideous and yellow but does the job. grin

monkoray Wed 08-Jun-11 22:59:13

Snarfle is right bepanthen is way better for nappy rash. Sudocrem is a good barrier cream to prevent nappy rash, but once they have it bepanthen will help clear it up.
My ds had nappy rash at just a few days old due to useless unabsorbant nappies.

monkoray Wed 08-Jun-11 23:01:03

Just to clarify I meant way better than sudocrem not than metanium (which I haven't come across before, thanks for the tip guys).

Graciescotland Wed 08-Jun-11 23:09:41

I find a good layer of olive oil before bed soothes any redness. I know it's recommended for new borns but it's worked for DS up to now (ten months)

CoffeeDodger Wed 08-Jun-11 23:13:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotallyLovely Thu 09-Jun-11 11:44:48

The Metanium you are supposed to put on really thinly and it seems to heal the area and keep it dry at the same time.

If you give them nappy free time after using it though beware of yellow bum prints around your house!

SpringFollows Thu 09-Jun-11 11:57:49

My DS got nappy rash last week- first time ever. He is about 12 months. I echo the good reports for metanium. Much better IME than sudocrem.

whitechocolatebuttons Thu 09-Jun-11 12:07:52

Anyone tried 'Bottom Butter' by Palmers cocoa butter people?

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 09-Jun-11 17:25:05

I tried metanium and it made DD shriek with pain. So I slather on plain Boots Zinc and Castor oil cream. The zinc dries stuff up and the castor oil is the barrier. It works really well and is much cheaper than all the other stuff with a myriad of medicated ingredients in them.

Sparklyboots Thu 09-Jun-11 17:34:21

We use coconut oil, cos it's, you know, digestive system friendly/ non toxic plus has malic acid - meant to be healing and contained in breast milk - and makes him smell like the deliciously edible little macaroon he is. Am (philosophically) resistant to stuff which has an ingrediants list I wouldn't eat, because the skin absorbs stuff and you have to digest it. (Bit of a lentil weaver). Works for us, though!

SpringFollows Thu 09-Jun-11 19:09:54

Never thought of coconut oil. Must try! (Not least because I love the description of an edible little macaroon.smile )

amberleaf Fri 10-Jun-11 11:30:04

Not least because I love the description of an edible little macaroon

Me too!

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 11-Jun-11 13:28:59

DD is 21mo and we've just had horrendous nappy rash (from her having diarrhoea). We bought Metanium (over the counter at the pharmacy). Clean bum with warm water and cotton wool, dry and spread a pea sized amount of the cream over the nappy rash. Ours worked overnight and DD woke with just a pink bum rather than a red one.

You have my sympathies though sad

ginmakesitallok Sat 11-Jun-11 13:32:06

We swear by conotrane in this house - has cleared up sore bums overnight. Used sudacrem once and made DD1s bum bleed - horrible stuff

woopsidaisy Sat 11-Jun-11 19:39:25

Can I just say that one of the tricks to using a barrier cream is that you must not try to wash it off-especially with water.
Use baby oil to remove the cream-we always used metanium for severe adult nappy rash,from backs of knees upsad.
Clean their bum,and allowing free nappy time is great too! Ensure it is well dried. Slather on barrier cream of choice. You do not need to remove it during the day unless they do a poo. Just add more if needed. Remove with baby oil on a cloth in the pm. Then dry and add more cream.
Trying to "rub" or "wash" the creams off will cause more skin damage or irritation. The creams act as a barrier to the moisture-they are not meant to wash off.

CoffeeDodger Sun 12-Jun-11 22:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: