Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Is 6 year gap between DCs better than 4 year gap?

(10 Posts)
Hope88 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:28:29

Hi every one, I have recently started a post about a possible 4 year gap between my children. I am now thinking maybe 6 year gap would be better. I don't know. I don't want to miss my DS1 early years as I can imagine you don't spend much time with the odler one when the baby arrives... What do you think?

Cattleprod Wed 08-Jun-11 12:33:21

4 year gap - DS starting school as DC2 arrives could be tricky, but they would be easier to entertain on days out etc.

6 year gap - they will never (well maybe for 1 year) be at the same school, so you'll have more running around to do. Plus there's a more limited range of activities that, for example, a 7 year old and a 13 year old would both enjoy.

A lot depends on their personalities and interests though.

mumoffourgirls Wed 08-Jun-11 12:35:35

I have a 7 year gap between DD1 and DD2, it was fine DD1 was able to help with the baby and loved it, DD2 and DD3 was a 15 month gap and was hard work, they still are, they`re very close but fight alot to as they are similar age, DD3 and DD4 there is a 4 year gap, a bit of jealousy from DD3 when baby arrived but they get on well now that DD4 is turning into her own little person....

swash Wed 08-Jun-11 13:01:32

6 years is tough - my dss is six years older than dd. there are few things that have amused them both.

MCos Wed 08-Jun-11 18:07:39

Agree 6 years is tough.
There is good possibility that they won't be close, as they won't have common interests, at least not for many years, if ever. I have 2 'sets' of nieces with 6-7 year gap, and the older ones just found the younger ones a nuisance when they were young. As they got older, they became more fond of the younger ones, but you couldn't call them close.
But, I guess like many things, it would depend on the children and personalities involved.

FranSanDisco Wed 08-Jun-11 18:10:02

THink you are overthinking this - mine have 2 yrs between them and the older one is fine wink.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 08-Jun-11 18:14:13

My bros are 6 and nearly 9 years older than me. They were great - we did lots of stuff together. I guess I was bright enough to play board games and cards at quite an early age, and then when they were older and started bringing uni friends home they'd still have me along ... it was great smile.

Don't answer this here, but is your DS a thoroughly nice boy? If so - either way will probably be just fine!

Hope88 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:17

Thank you everyone!

wannabeglam Wed 08-Jun-11 22:05:48

I have a 6 year gap - not planned. It's fine. 4 years would have been fine too. If I were you I'd just get on with it.

JIRkids Thu 09-Jun-11 13:08:17

If you have a choice of age gap I would say the closer the better in the long term then they will have more in common. I think when the second is a baby a big gap is great and much easier but once they are about 2-3 they are ready to play with their siblings and a smaller gap usually means they have more in common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now