Talk

Advanced search

Pocket money/allowance for a child who is old enough to go out on their own but not old enough to have a proper job

(5 Posts)
foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-11 13:44:56

So dd starts secondary school next year.

She has been going out with her friends a fair amount recently. I have no problem with that but there is a large discrepancy in what they get to spend.

One child has parents who seem to just give her £20 when she crosses the threshold. Other parents are sticking to pocket money of like £2.50 a week.

Dd has an oyster card that I put money on so her transport is covered and buses are free at her age anyway.

I want her to understand that she can't just spend money like water when she is out nor is it reasonable to always go out and spend money (i.e. they could just go to the park and take a picnic). But on the otherhand, I also want her to be able to get a drink or ice cream when she's out or go to the cinema on the odd occasion.

So how much do you give your children who can go out on their own but aren't old enough to work and earn money themselves? SHe does chores btw.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-11 13:57:51

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 14:13:29

The cinema is £8 a go and popcorn and a drink is another £7 so I think that £2.50 a week is a bit low if its meant to cover things like that. Maybe the £20 every time she crosses the threshold girl has to cover all her trips, clothes and toiletries?

Say she goes to the cinema once a month thats £15, then a drink and an icecream once a week £5, thats £35 a month. So maybe a tenner a week would be a reasonable amount?

Jas Tue 07-Jun-11 14:18:57

My dd gets £5 a week.
The cinema is a drive away for us. Full price shows are a treat and paid for by tesco vouchers if possible. Saturday morning films are £1 each.

After school she rotates between our house, friends house, the park and macdonalds.
She doesn't always spend all £5 at the moment, but I'm guessing that will change in the summer when there is no school.

foxinsocks Tue 07-Jun-11 14:37:16

nah cross the threshold girl has generous parents ;-). They are v nice though but just happy to keep shelling out iyswim.

thanks for those posts though.

I had forgotten about those Saturday morning £1 films - that's a good idea. I think they do that at one of the cinemas on the other side of town so I will point that out to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now