Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How do you manage bedtimes when dcs of different ages share a room?

(9 Posts)
bunjies Fri 03-Jun-11 14:10:57

We're going to be mving to a 3 bed house which means my 2 dds will have to share a room. They are 8 and 6 and I am not sure how to manage their bedtimes, especially as the youngest finds it difficult to settle at the best of times. Also, dd1 likes to read for a while before settling down. How do others manage this or do you just have them go to bed at the same time?

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 14:13:00

My mum used to put me to bed in her bed and my sister to bed in her own bed, then when my sister was asleep she'd move me through to my bed.

bunjies Fri 03-Jun-11 14:16:42

We did this when they had to share a room when they were younger, 6 and 4. I was hoping there might be an easier solution grin.

BertieBotts Fri 03-Jun-11 14:57:22

Could you let DD1 read downstairs or in another room upstairs until DD2 is asleep and then get her to go to bed quietly?

I know me and my sister used to talk for hours blush we have a great relationship now though. Happy memories smile

bunjies Fri 03-Jun-11 15:35:37

I think we'll have to do this Bertie.

I am so not looking forward to dd2 waking dd1 up in the morning. Dd1 loves to sleep in and dd2 always wants to play first thing and then dd1 gets really grumpy. She's just like her mum, not a morning person grin.

kakapo Sat 04-Jun-11 17:52:53

Maybe they could go to bed at the same time (the noisy part), and then DD1 reads until her bedtime. If you think you could instigate a no talking rule I guess grin

Checkmate Sat 04-Jun-11 17:56:46

My 8 & 6 year old are sharing at the moment, having previously had their own bedrooms, and I now put them to bed at the same time, then they can read until lights out. Its been great for DS (6) as got him reading a lot more... though he is copying his older sisters taste, so currently reading 3rd form at Malory Towers grin

Danthe4th Sat 04-Jun-11 17:56:59

Mine are 8 and 6 and share bunk beds, some nights they just go to bed and lights out at 7.30/8 especially on school nights. But more often the younger goes up at 7/7.30 for a story and lights out then the older one will sit downstairs with us or lie on our bed watching a bit of tv or reading with us and then straight to bed at 8/8.30. The younger always gets up first and as yet they have never disturbed each other.

bunjies Thu 09-Jun-11 14:29:03

Sorry for not replying - didn't realise there were more posts blush.

I suppose it's going to be choice of either both having the same bed time or the eldest reading elsewhere for a while when the youngest goes to bed. Problem with either of these scenarios is that dd2 is so difficult to settle, even when on her own and will try to stay up til dd1's bedtime then make it difficult for dd1 to settle down. I wish there was a better solution out there that I just haven't thought of.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: