Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

10 year old staying up later - how do you organise your own relaxation time?

(4 Posts)
CeliaFate Fri 03-Jun-11 10:43:55

Dd is nearly 11 and goes to bed at 9 but is rarely asleep before 9.30. The trouble is I go to bed at 10.30 so I feel like I have no relaxation time of my own, due to dd being very demanding - calling for us to turn tv down, calling for a glass of water, calling to tell us she's scared of something. It's like having a toddler!
WWYD?

Atwaroverscrabble Fri 03-Jun-11 18:07:28

Ds is 11 and I have the rule that he is in his bedroom by half eight with no tv etc, just reading and chill out time and lights out at 9.... If he comes down after 8:30 the next night his routine is 15 mins earlier so 8:15/8:45 and if he does it again it moves again... Seems to work!

Flyonthewindscreen Fri 03-Jun-11 22:15:09

I also feel like my/DH's evenings are slipping away now the DC are getting older (9 & 7). We have tried to make it a rule that as much as possible after 8pm (when 7yo goes to bed anyway) it is adult time so no DC choice of tv, fetching snacks or other requests from them. DS is welcome to stay up with us until 9pm but childrens/family time has finished for the day.

willali Sat 04-Jun-11 13:57:48

My 13 year old now wants to stay up later than us!! Luckily he can sit in another room and watch crap TV of an evening thus allowing a bit of adult time to carry on uninterrupted. I fondly recall the bed at 6 then glass of wine routine ;)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: