Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Struggling with 3 yo

(4 Posts)
Mishy1234 Fri 03-Jun-11 08:35:03

We are really struggling with 3.2 yo DS atm. He is generally very well behaved, but recently he's been insisting on me (his Mum) doing absolutely everything for him and won't let his Dad do anything at all. We have tantrums about who cleans his teeth, gives him his bath, reads his story etc.

DH is really good and tries his hardest to do his share when he's around. I'm at home full-time atm so I do the lion's share, but DS is a nightmare when he tries to help out. It's becoming very wearing for all concerned.

Any tips? Has anyone experienced similar?

DH does take the boys out on his own now and then, but most of the time at the weekend we are all together as a family. DS can tantrum for an hour or more (this morning about his teeth) and I try not to give in and do it, but sometimes we are up against time constraints (DH getting to work etc).

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-11 08:39:51

There are several support threads going for parents of three year olds! Try AIBU, Parenting & Behav. & Dev. topics.

Yes I have had very very similar.... I heard someone call it attention seeking pure & simple the other day. But it's hard to be harsh on them because they don't have the emotional maturity to do much better (sigh).

Mishy1234 Fri 03-Jun-11 13:46:17

lljkk thanks, I'll look at the threads you mention. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 03-Jun-11 13:55:40

DD does this sometimes. DH goes away for usually between2 and 4 weeks at a time for work so there are long periods when it is just DD and me. When DH returns, DD does have a few tantrums about wanting only me to do things. The most common one is bedtime stories. I try to create a situation where I am not immediately available for the story, but DH is. So I might suddenly need the loo, or have to get a drink. DD then has a choice of wait (and I can be very slow, if necessary) or let DH read the story.

I have also had a few occasions where I have told DD that she can have 2 stories; one from me and one from DH. If she says she does not want DH to read a story, she only gets one from me. So for the fun stuff, I will not replace DH.

It is harder with non-negotiable stuff like teeth brushing. We try to make a game out of these things. Often having a race works. DD always likes to win, so she will let DH help her if it means she will beat me to be the first to have clean teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now