Talk

Advanced search

Celebrating DC's January birthday in July...weird?

(10 Posts)
AngelDog Thu 02-Jun-11 21:18:31

DS's birthday is at the start of January and DH and I have been thinking of celebrating his birthday in July rather than in January to avoid the clash with Christmas/New Year/our nephew's birthday. I struggle with being very busy and I think it's likely that he'll end up with very limited celebrations if we try to do it in January, and it would avoid a lot of headaches with the grandparents wanting to fit in birthday visits too.

He's 17 months so we were thinking of starting this year while he's too young to care.

Is it a really odd thing to do? I have read of someone doing it before but it's obviously not common. I'd like to invite some mum/toddler friends over for a party, but I'm worrying now that they'll all think it's really weird.

reddaisy Thu 02-Jun-11 21:21:53

I don't know the answer to this, DDs birthday is in January and it is crap as everyone is all partied out/broke/just got her a present etc and I can't just have a party in the garden the way I could in the summer. But it is when her birthday is so we do celebrate it.

What we do already is buy her token gifts for her bday as she has just had Christmas and then tend to get her something else in the summer so she doesn't have to wait 12 months for a present IYSWIM? Normally the summer present is outdoorsy such as a slide/scooter.

FlubbaBubba Thu 02-Jun-11 21:35:57

My birthday is early Jan. I've coped and never considered myself hard done by (although there are some people who forget, but invariably remember a few weeks later - spreads the birthday out somewhat! grin)

It's not as if it's Christmas Day - I wouldn't bother doing it in July, IMHO.

salvadory Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:45

Yes it is weird, no you shouldn't do it, his birthday is january, make time to rustle up a birthday cake and buy some sale birthday bargains, he'll be fine, much more so than having to explain why his parents make him have a party 6 months after his birthday.
I speak as someone (who has her own birthday in july)with a 17 month old so know that early January birthdays aren't the easiest. But you are making it a bigger deal than necessary.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 02-Jun-11 22:00:00

We do it, I think it is harsh to call it "weird" salvadory. Each to their own and all that. smile

dd1's birthday is January. She has presents as normal apart from presents from dh and I, and from my parents. She also has her party plus cake in January.

Then on a (movable) weekend in June or July, we give her a summer birthday. My parents and her own parents (i.e. me and dh) give her her "main" present. One year it was a princess tent which would have been of limited benefit in January. This year it will be a bike. She has a lovely meal which again varies, might be a bbq in mum's garden, or a pub lunch or similar.

Some of it is for my benefit too. I have very limited time off over Christmas and New Year (nurse) so not having the added pressure of buying yet more stuff in early January is a benefit for me as well.

cornflakegirl Thu 02-Jun-11 22:01:44

I don't think it's weird - just celebrate his half-birthday. If your family and any friends who are likely to buy him presents are happy to sign up to it, great, but if not you can still host a party then and give him his main present then. When he's old enough, he can decide for himself when he wants to have his birthday celebrations.

vess Thu 02-Jun-11 22:33:44

A birthday is a birthday. He can have a party in July, but it won't be a birthday party.

AngelDog Fri 03-Jun-11 20:22:05

Thanks for the opinions & experiences. I think I'll have a half-birthday party next month. At this age, it's more for me than it is for him. smile

madwomanintheattic Fri 03-Jun-11 20:37:14

? ds1's birthday is 2 Jan. he has his party towards the mid/ end of jan when everyone is back after christmas hols. we buy him bikes/ outdoor stuff in the summer, but not for his birthday...

Clary Sat 04-Jun-11 21:46:37

I think it's a bit odd tbh.

A pal of DS1's has Christmas Day as his birthday and even his family mark it on the right day.

My birthday is in Jan and I agree it's a bit bobbins (ooh, this is for Christmas and birthday, people forget it, no-one has any money to go out), but hey, it;s when my b/day is.

Summer pressie for garden is a good idea tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now