Talk

Advanced search

moving house with toddler (and bump!!)

(17 Posts)
stottiecake Thu 02-Jun-11 11:57:36

Any advice on how to help my 2 and a half year old cope with the move? We have talked loads about the new house - been really positive about it - driven past it etc etc.

I think I read on here a while ago - or read a link via here about allowing the toddler to say goodbye to each room in the old house and then leave and then go to the new house in the evening where his bedroom will be ready. I was thinking of doing this (not going to be much help with shifting stuff as am 34 weeks pg!) but then I wondered whther it would be best to let him experience the actual move and get involved.

Perhaps am worrying too much but if anyone has done this before and has top tips for a happy toddler I would be so grateful!

(Will check back this evening as toddler due back from shopping expedition shortly)

PegPolkadot Thu 02-Jun-11 12:04:17

We moved when DS1 was 2 1/2. We made a picture for his new bedroom wall. Basically decorated a piece of A1 paper and put it in a big plastic clippy frame. He loved doing it and it stayed up until we got around to decorating his new bedroom.

I had a planned c-section 5 days later.

Get packers and a picnic chair to take around with you and sit on the day you move!

Mumswang Thu 02-Jun-11 12:07:35

Watching eagerly. We're due to move in about 4 weeks, DS will be just 2, then about 4 weeks later we're having another baby.

I am starting to stress that these two events, so close togther might affect him

he is generally very laid back and happy

watching for any other tips to ease the path

Firawla Thu 02-Jun-11 14:47:18

we are going to be in a similar position, should be moving in a couple of weeks with my 2 toddlers then expecing another baby not too long after that. i think your saying bye bye to the house idea is good, and if you have explained it to her and she is aware what's going to happen that it should be ok?
i did a psychology workshop @ my children's centre before about changes and transitions for young children, because i was thinking what will be the best way to handle it if they have a couple of transitions at the same time like this and the main thing i picked up was probably just to try and keep everything else as consistant as you can, obviously the changes will be there new house new baby etc, but if you have some routines keep them as same as possible, then you will be bringing over all her familiar toys objects etc from your other house..
with my 2 i am worrying more about that i am going to be putting them in together in the same room when we move. will probably get some thomas duvets or something to make it appealing for them, a bit of bribery like that always tends to work imo
i think generally young children can be quite adaptable though so hopefully it will be fine? i suppose let them talk about it though and if they say they miss their old house or something, then acknowledge their feelings??

iskra Thu 02-Jun-11 14:53:35

We're in a similar position! We are moving in about a month when DD is 3, I'll be about 32 weeks I suppose. We are probably going to have to move into my mum's for a while while we get the new house ready which adds another weird thing for DD. Argh.

MissPB Thu 02-Jun-11 18:48:43

We moved with 3 month old baby and a 3 year old. The children went to stay with grandparents the night before the move and were brought to the new house once we were in, in the afternoon.

Is there anyway you can do this perhaps? Lots of positive talk about a new house (bigger rooms/garden if this is the case?) and excitement and chips from the chips shop for tea was a great treat (and a first for our daughter!)

The first room we sorted out was for the 3 year old (and then the kitchen and the beds) so that her bed was made, toys were sitting there and so on so that it looked like "home" when she arrived.

We also paid extra for the removal company to pack our house which was agreat help. I took the children to my parents for the day and when we came home in late afternoon, everything was packed!

stottiecake Fri 03-Jun-11 22:16:40

Thanks all for the advice!

We got the keys yesterday so went to have a wander around - not actually moving until monday. Think I will just take him out for the day as I really don't think he will cope well with the nitty gritty of the move. Chip shop chips for tea is a great idea!!!

We have also got some pics of the inside of the house so we have been able to talk about who will be sleeping where and where we will put stuff.

Wishing everyone in the same position all the best with your moves!!

cuckooclock Sat 04-Jun-11 18:52:38

DD was 2 3/4 when we moved and to be honest we didn't really think uch about it before we moved. We did talk about it and she was with us on several occasions when we looked round the new house. On the day of the move she spent the day with a cousin at her grandparents house. Two other cousins helped me set up her new bedroom with all of her stuff around her. it was the only room that was organised for weeks!

She was absolutely fine about it all. And now, several years later she hardly remembers our old house.

BornToFolk Sat 04-Jun-11 19:01:28

We moved last year when DS was nearly 3. I was worried about how he'd cope with it, but he was fine.
We talked a lot about moving. He'd been to see lots of houses with us (took us ages to find the right one!) so he knew that soon we'd have somewhere else to live.
On the day of the move, he went to nursery as normal (I think we told him to say "bye house!" but definitely did not take him round each room), then my mum picked him up in the evening and took him to hers for a bit while we unpacked and sorted out DS's room as priority. Mum lent him a wheely case and he put a few bits in there and trundled it round.

I was most concerned about him not being around for the actual move but I think that because he'd seen the house packed up, he knew that we were going. Everything else was the same (ie. going to nursery) and he had the treat of going to Granny's house. We were going to get him a new toy for the garden but I'm not sure we ever got round to it...blush Once he was here we kept bedtime routine the same as always.

The highight of his day was a trip round the block in the removal van...my brother runs a removal firm and so he was the one moving us. I'm not sure giving small children a ride in the lorry is normally part of the service! grin

youbethemummylion Sun 05-Jun-11 12:18:15

I think a lot is written about how to help toddlers cope with the move and parents are made to feel like it will be a traumatic experience for the child but from my experience as long as it is not a long distance move meaning a change in nursery/childminder or not being able to see same friends/grandparents etc the children cope fine with it.

They are not really that attached to the house but to the people and their toys and things. My advice would be to get their room sorted first i.e make up their bed put all the toys in etc so it's ready for them when they come to new house but even thats not that important. When we moved house with our 2.4 year old we put his cot bed into his not yet arrived little brothers room and got him a brand new big boy bed which was delayed being delivered so he slept on the floor for a few nights. This was coupled with the fact the two weeks before we moved in everything was in storage and the three of us were in a tiny bedroom at MIL's house this was the week he decided "no nappies big boy now" and threw all his dummies in the bin to prove it.

So within a matter of weeks he was told there was going to be a baby, started potty training, went cold turkey on dummies, had to give his cot bed to the baby and we moved house. He was absoloutely fine. Basically I'm saying they are more resiliant than you think and as long as the routines and expectations and boundaries and fun and playing and laughter and love are all still there they really couldn't care less.

Good Luck.

jf12345 Thu 04-Aug-11 12:04:25

I found the document "moving with kids" really helpful whilst we were moving, hope this helps and good luck
residential.bishopsmove.com/download-library/index.htm

plinkduet Thu 04-Aug-11 12:25:35

'a psychology workshop @ my children's centre before about changes and transitions for young children,' Blimey!
When we moved house with a newborn and a toddler, they were both too young to be bothered, the house was irrelevant, having their belongings and their 'personal landscape' the same made the move smooth. Personal landscape being the old furniture placed in the same positions in the new house.

ForrestGuy Thu 26-May-16 10:55:56

Late to the party.

I've crafted a blog post on how to move houses with a toddler that you girls might find helpful. I tried to gather information from multiple sources and I hope I covered all the crucial moments.

Overall, don't forget to pay attention to the little guy, show him the positive sides of the removal and he should be ok.

carlaobjj Tue 28-Mar-17 18:02:22

Great website if you are moving house mtcremoval.co.uk/choosing-a-right-removal-company/ London removal Company

n0ne Tue 28-Mar-17 18:07:21

DD was just under 2 when we moved house. We did the saying gooodbye to each room thing, and she'd been to the new house a couple of times before (we had works done before moving in). Even so, she was pretty shell-shocked for about a week, and she went from being a fantastic sleeper to a complete nightmare for nearly a year!!! It may just have been a coincidence or the move coincided with a development spurt, who knows. Good luck, OP!

Ecureuil Tue 28-Mar-17 18:10:53

We moved when DD1 was 6 months, again when she was 16 months then again when she was 2.4 and DD2 was 10 months, and are moving again next week with them at 3.5 and 21 months... to be honest the only move DD1 has been remotely bothered about is this upcoming one (she said she was worried she wouldn't have a bed at the new house!). To be honest as long as they have their things around them I think they're usually fine.

LittleBearPad Tue 28-Mar-17 18:18:45

Moved when DD was almost three and again six months later. She was fine. The only thing she checked on a couple of times was that her toys were coming. We walked the second time to the new house and she packed her trunky with favourite items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now