Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What kind of program or cartoon do you allow your 5 1/2 years?

(8 Posts)
preciousmum Tue 31-May-11 23:08:37

Hi there.My DS usually watch Cbeebies or milkshake.For the last two days he watched Horrid Henry on CITV,and he became so influenced by the shouting.Today we went to the liberery and he wanted to borrow the dvd.
Iam thinking of making my house a TV free,or should I stick to the Cbeebies wather he likes it or not? (Limited time of course) Usually hes so happy playing with his brother.What do you think?Iam feeling lost.
Thanks

Piccadilly Wed 01-Jun-11 08:23:01

I think tv-free is probably the best. Having said that, my dd (5 1/2) loves the alphablocks on the internet (cbeebies) and is allowed to play alphablocks about twice a week. Occasionally (maybe twice a month) she and her brother (only 2 - yikes!) are allowed to watch a youtube film chosen together with me (normally it's a 5 or 10 minute tractor or digger film!). Once our childminder lent us a dvd of short children's films. DH watched one or two of the short films with the children. Tbh I found them not very appropriate - nice stories etc. but it was a cartoon and the camera angle changed very frequently. I've read that that is too confusing for such young children - which I could imagine is the case. I would rather go back to tv/computer game free but I think the alphablocks are now too important to dd that they're here to stay! smile

MCos Wed 01-Jun-11 16:43:30

Do you get 'TinyPop' channel? The cartoons on that are lovely. My 7 yr old will still watch it sometimes if she wants to wind down.

woopsidaisy Wed 01-Jun-11 17:58:51

Mine DSs are 4 and 6. They love Disney Junior at the minute. Handy Manny,Jake and the Neverland Pirates,Mickey Mouse Clubhouse etc. Pretty much all the programmes are deemed watchable.
Horrid Henry was banned in our house after a week.
They like Ben and Holly and Team Umizoomi on Nick.

preciousmum Fri 03-Jun-11 23:36:43

Thanks for all your replays,and sorry for my late feedback.By the way MCos where can you find 'Tiny Pop' channel? As i don't have skype or any ohter net work.Once again thank you so much.).

NeverendingStoryteller Sat 04-Jun-11 14:59:48

My two boys (5 & 7) have very limited TV, and so when they are allowed to watch, they get to choose, within reason - Horrid Henry is banned in our house. Generally, they will choose Scooby Doo, Pokemon, Rastamouse, or Grandpa in my Pocket. I usually flick through the available channels and give them a choice between two programmes (two that I approve of, obviously). They are happy cos they're being given a choice, and I'm happy because they are watching something that I've approved. After the half hour, TV goes off and its back outside!

MudandRoses Mon 06-Jun-11 20:49:56

We don't have a tv, but my son (5.5yrs) watches a dvd or four Cbeebies programs on Iplayer, every other day. He usually chooses Octonauts, occasionally Kerwhizz or similar. The DVDs he has are things like Bambi, ALaddin, Milkshake Mix etc. It's all quite low key. Some of his friends watch Star Wars, Dr Who etc, and I'm sure there will come a time when DS will do too, but I think, keep them young for as long as possible! There's time for sophisticated stuff later.

preciousmum Tue 07-Jun-11 22:09:42

I Agree with you MudandRoses,to keep them young as long as possible,it is a bit difficult with the pressure from their class mate.My DS loves Octonauts,and he's got the books as well,he friends keeps telling him that it is Babyish,Blesshim,he did say that it is a very informative cartoon that teatch about different species under water,and my mum watch it too grin .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: