Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Managing two children after carpal tunnel decompression surgery

(5 Posts)
negrilbaby Tue 31-May-11 20:58:25

I am due to have carpal tunnel decompression surgery on my right hand in a couple of months at which point DD will be 14 months and DS 3 years. Does anyone have any experience of this surgery? DH will be able to take a couple of weeks off work but after that I'll be coping on my own - is this going to be possible?
Any advice greatfully accepted.

eightytwenty Tue 31-May-11 21:24:10

Hi - I had this done on both my hands, the first was at a similar stage to you (with the added complexity of a DH who'd just been run over and had lost the use of his RH - now recovered thank goodness!). Don't worry too much. Both ops were painless, and I had NO pain afterwards at all. I did sleep very well after taking preventative dyhydrocodeine for a day or so, but it really wasn't necessary. You'll probably really be out of action for a few days - until you can replace the dressing (day 3 from memory).

Stock up your freezer as things like peeling veg was a bit tricky. Good excuse not to do nappy changes for a few days too.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have, but am sure you'll find this as lot better than you're probably expecting (I did).

negrilbaby Tue 31-May-11 21:28:54

Thanks for that.
My main worry is coping with DD. She's a heavy little thing. I'm still breastfeeding and co-sleeping. Am I going to be able to lift her?

eightytwenty Tue 31-May-11 21:31:51

Yes I think so - but I can't remember how I did it as you probably don't want to lift under the arms to pick her up.

AngelDog Wed 01-Jun-11 20:12:41

I've not had surgery, but have had some similar problems with my wrists / arms. I try to lift my DS by putting one arm under his knees and one arm around his back, so he's in a kind of V shape in front of my body, sideways on to me. It's a lot less strain than lifting under the arms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: