Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

taking one year old for surgery

(8 Posts)
jsp56 Tue 31-May-11 17:18:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Tue 31-May-11 19:59:59

girliefriend Tue 31-May-11 20:08:17

Hi my dd has had 2 lots of surgery although was a bit older than your little one, with regards to the eating hopefully because he is so little they will get him in first or early on in the day in which case it might be an idea to think about cutting out/ down on the night feeds now. Otherwise you will have a long night before his surgery!!!

MadamDeathstare Tue 31-May-11 20:38:12

herdiegirl Tue 31-May-11 20:47:09

Hi, my DS2 had surgery at one. Just wanted to try and reassure you that it will be okay (I remember the anxiety).

Also agree that your child is v likely to be done early on the list as they do do the youngest ones first. I think it's harder for the parents as the little ones don't understand. I cried buckets taking him to theatre - v. emotional.

DS2 seemed to recover very quickly after and was soon guzzling a large drink of milk and enjoying a cuddle with us and then keen to play surprisingly quickly too.

Also, in the morning when they are not allowed to have any food, we distracted, distracted, distracted and was not too bad.

Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly.

jsp56 Wed 01-Jun-11 09:14:24

pozzled Wed 01-Jun-11 09:27:34

My DD had surgery at 15 months. I agree with distracting as much as possible while he is fasting, make sure you take loads of small toys/ books etc. Talk to the hospital about how he will be anaesthetised, I think DD had a face mask (but my DH was with her when she went under, only one parent allowed and we thought he would cope better). Make sure they use numbing cream if he needs a canula or blood tests, it needs to be put on his skin about an hour before hand and it makes it much, much easier.

Also, when he wakes make sure he only has a little food/drink at first. One of the days DD was in hospital she ended up being sedated for most of the day, when she woke she was starving and thirsty and I stupidly gave her too much to eat and drink- cue copious amounts of vomit over her nice new plaster cast. Not nice to deal with.

I hope it all goes well- it's not a nice experience but it's worse on the parents than the child IME and I'm sure everything will be fine.

jsp56 Wed 01-Jun-11 17:35:31

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: