Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Child Benefit

(5 Posts)
RunkidsKID Sun 29-May-11 10:46:06

I need some advice. My granddaughter lives with me but is ready to start spending weekends with her mum. The trouble is my DD will need two bedrooms in order to get somewhere bigger the benefits office say she will need to be getting her DD child benefits. If I transfer it to her will I lose child tax credits for her and the help I get with the childcare.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 29-May-11 10:55:03

Whoever has the majority of the care receives the child benefit

Are you sure they don't mean that she needs to apply for it once DD is living with her? Or are they saying that to prove she needs the bigger house she needs to be claiming for DD as if she is living with her? Thats a very unfair way to look at it

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who does. You might want to repost in chat though, it has more traffic

WillyBumBalls Sun 29-May-11 10:58:30

Is it social housing your DD is looking for?

I live in Scotland so it may be different to where you live but I know that here if a relationship breaks down and the parent who moves on without the children can apply for a house with an extra bedroom because custody will be shared so I would imagine your DD could do this too?. Have never heard of them asking aout benefits.

As far as the benefits go I think that only one person can be claiming benefits for a child so you would have to claim all or your DD would but I am not 100% sure so check up on that one smile

RunkidsKID Sun 29-May-11 11:07:20

Have replayed In chat it really dies seem unfair how are we supposed to move on will try the shared custody approach
Thanks

RunkidsKID Sun 29-May-11 11:08:25

Have replayed In chat it really dies seem unfair how are we supposed to move on will try the shared custody approach
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: