Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Do I need a pram as well as a buggy?

(15 Posts)
RingEir Sat 28-May-11 15:23:38

I hope I can get some advice here from experienced parents. My friend has just given me a second-hand pushchair (bébéconfort - elite avenue) which can be used for newborns but my DH thinks we need a traditional pram too. What do you think?

Thanks.
PS Baby due end of July and we live in a very hot climate.

trixie123 Sat 28-May-11 16:28:22

no reason at all if the buggy is suitable for newborns. the only thing might be that a traditional pram will be completely flat if you think you might have the baby outdoors in a shady garden a lot. If, by "traditional" you mean a really old fashioned silver cross type then they are impossible to put in cars and really not terribly practical at all, wheras a modern "system" where you put a carrycot on the chassis and then a seat when baby is older might be the better option if you decide the buggy on its own is not suitable.

Emzar Sat 28-May-11 16:29:39

We have a pushchair that lies flat so can be used from birth. We also bought a carrycot attachment for it so we could use it as a pram, but we haven't taken the carrycot out of the house since the first week! The pushchair is easier and more versatile. The only benefit we've found with the carrycot is that we put our son down to sleep in it downstairs in the day, but you could use a Moses basket for that too. So I would say no, you don't need a pram too.

RingEir Sat 28-May-11 22:04:30

That more or less confirms what I thought. Thank you!

MCos Sat 28-May-11 23:49:28

I have 2 DDs. Never had a pram, but used pushchairs extensively. So no, I don't believe you NEED a pram.
My DDs were born in Califormia, DD1 was born in early summer. If it is very hot, you will most likely not be out of doors much with your baby. You will be sticking to where there is airconditioning as much as possible!

Best of luck with the birth. It is such a precious time, birth of firstborn.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 17:08:13

Consider getting a sling instead of a pram. Great for off road, in and out of small shops etc plus clingy/windy (and i think colicy/refluxy) babies find them soothing. Also good as they are close to you so you help regulate their body temp. Make sure it's a sling rather than a baby carrier type (eg baby bjorn) as the latter are crap imho.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 29-May-11 17:09:50

We bought a carry cot on wheels for baby to sleep in and go out in for the first few months and then got an umbrella buggy for going out in and a cot to sleep in. No need for pushchair bit on wheels and no need for a moses basket. IMO people buy far too much stuff that they don't need.

RingEir Sun 29-May-11 17:49:20

Thanks again for your good wishes and advice. I had thought of the sling, but in the summer here (Spain) it is so hot that having the baby strapped on to me when I go out might not be a bit suffocating for both of us! A traditional pram seems so bulky and as the pushchair seat can be tilted almost flat, I thought it might be enough. The travel systems look good but we have also been given a car seat so it's only the carrycot bit that we don't have. I guess we could get a carrycot that could double as a moses basket - we still haven't sorted the crib out.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 29-May-11 18:33:23

If you have a carry cot you don't need a crib ime/o.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 18:42:24

It's because of the heat that i suggested a sling! You can both dress lightly and you are aware of how warm the lo is. You help regulate their temp in the same way as when you do skin to skin. In a buggy you have no idea how warm they are.

RingEir Sun 29-May-11 19:53:25

@*Moonface*, oh ok, I just assumed that could be very sweaty and that we would both be cooler with more airflow.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 20:11:54

You might get a little sweaty due to carrying extra weight (but you would pushing a buggy anyway) new babies don't sweat. Infact they can not regulate their body temp at all. That's why having them upon your person helps. You can dress them lightly and know your body heat will keep them ok. Does that make sense? It was onlya suggestion anyway. smile

RingEir Sun 29-May-11 21:15:39

That's good to know about the body temp regulation - I hadn't a clue, and I was thinking that the problem would be how to keep the baby coolsmile Thanks for your help smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Mon 30-May-11 12:08:52

Nope. Slings are still used across the world by people with no access to buggies etc. Including in hot climates, infact the stereotypes that spring to my mind are africa and india. No probs keeping them cool there. smile

Pussinflatboots Mon 30-May-11 14:30:34

We wondered this as our pushchair is suitable from birth. Got the carrycot attachment in the end and it's been invaluable as a Moses basket in the house, and as a pram for out and about. But then, dd was a winter baby and the sides gave more wind protection than the pushchair sides which may not be relevant to you. Also liked using the carrycot as dd didn't have to be strapped in, unlike the pushchair, meaning she was a bit freer to wriggle, and that it was easier to put her in asleep without waking her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: