Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How can I stop my 13 month old biting me every 5 minutes?

(18 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 27-May-11 16:37:25

He's driving me mad, he's been doing it for months and it's nearly almost me that gets it. He's just toddled up and bit me, I tell him NO in stern voice and he looks at me smiles and chomps again. If I'm standing he'll toddle up and bit my legs. He's had 6 teeth since 6 months and it's bloody sore.

If it's a phase I wish it would hurry up and end. None of my 3 girls bit me and if course he never bites my boobs when hes feeding.

Short of a muzzle I'm at a loss as to what to do with him

Sylvaniasandwich Fri 27-May-11 17:32:15

You say 'no, no biting' firmly and you physically move him away from you. Move him away if you think he is about to do it too.

Ouch though. I feel your pain - and remember it well!

AngelDog Fri 27-May-11 19:17:09

I said 'Biting hurts, touch gently please' and moved his hand to touch/pat me gently. If I was holding him, I'd usually say "biting hurts" and put him down.

The other thing which worked when he was a bit older and walking (about 14 months) was to have a plastic spoon or something in my pocket. As soon as he started to bite, I'd say "biting hurts, but spoons are good for biting" and give him the spoon to bite on. After a while, he'd open his mouth to bite, look at me, and then reach for the spoon. You could use any object.

sweetkitty Fri 27-May-11 20:13:58

I do the NO and turn him away from me, the spoon thing might be an idea. Oh I've also taken to wearing my hair in a bun as he pulls my hair out in clumps if he can. Cannot wear necklaces anymore as he pull them off too. Apparently it's a sign of affection be must love me then. It's only me that gets the biting treatment, I do all the No biting give Mummy kisses. Never had one like this must be a boy thing.

HoolaHooper Fri 27-May-11 20:29:26

My boy has been doing it a while too. He is now 16m and each time say 'no biting, nice kisses only' and he finally seems to be getting it and stops and lets you kiss him instead. He then goes off and bites the sofa so I think it's a lot to do with his teeth but he doesn't chew on anything else.

I think just using the same phrase each time so that they get to understand it, and putting them down away from you. (I have to admit i've even done a naughty step type thing twice when he seemed to be doing it maliciously - only held hium there for about 15 seconds but he seemed to get the message that biting has consequences).

Mumofjz Fri 27-May-11 21:55:36

Hmmmm never had the toddler bite but when DS was about 8mths he would try and bite when cuddling and HV said squeeze his earlobe till he stops (he gives pain then he recieves pain - obviously not very hard just hard enough to let him know) and he didn't do it for long

Cruel to be kind comes to mind shock but really i wouldn't hurt a hair on their head smile

sweetkitty Fri 27-May-11 21:56:37

An old dear told me to bite him back he will soon get the message confused

Mumofjz Fri 27-May-11 22:17:02

got told that off my mum with my DD(9) - i did, it worked - not too sure you can go around advocating it though in this day and age grin

MinnieBar Fri 27-May-11 22:31:28

<waves at SK>
DD2 is doing similar - anytime her face gets near any part of my body she nips, oh and she'll bite my boob too just to let me know she's finished. She thinks it's hilarious.
It seems to have gotten worse in the last week or so here, to the point that this evening I was almost shying away when she got close.
I'm liking the spoon/plastic object idea…

AngelDog Fri 27-May-11 22:53:44

I got the idea from BertieBotts, who IIRC offered an apple to bite on, but I found a spoon was the most easily portable object I could put my hands on.

NomadInNowhere Fri 27-May-11 22:58:29

Put some mustard on your arm (or whereever he tends to bite) one day and see what he thinks of that! grin
SweetKitty Goodness NO! Shhhhhhh! You will have SS after you!

sweetkitty Fri 27-May-11 23:04:08

Minniebar - I'm trying to work out who you are in RL on FB think I know!!

Would have to cover entire body in mustard,now he's walking I can't escape, I actually got up from the sofa today as I was fed up of getting bitten, it's bloody sore. If he gets bare skin I've had teeth marks and bruises.

He's so gorgeous though I can't get mad at him (wrapped round finger emoticon)

MCos Sat 28-May-11 00:07:37

I was advised to pick up the child, then put them down some place safe, tell them 'no biting' and walk away. They will freak out, but get the idea.
Will probably need to be repeated a few times.

Worked perfectly for DD1, only partially for DD2. DD2 stopped biting me, but started to bite DD1 once she got older (mostly out of frustration - but still!)

MinnieBar Sat 28-May-11 06:37:14

SK my initials are JGS
<subtle as a brick>

MinnieBar Sat 28-May-11 07:52:39

Oh and your DS is gorgeous!

sweetkitty Sat 28-May-11 08:50:51

Ah minniebar I thought it was you grin need to stop namechanging.

He will wander up and come for a cuddle then have a quick bite at the same time!

Am going to try the spoon thing today fingers crossed.

MinnieBar Sat 28-May-11 09:12:14

I namechanged a few months back - an entirely vain attempt to become more memorable on here by having a hilarious name… and then my posting dropped from 'infrequent' to 'almost non-existent' so it was a futile exercise!
By coincidence DD1 came into our bed with a plastic ring this morning and DD2 did chew on that rather than me.

OMG1234 Mon 30-May-11 22:00:23

Bite them back. There I said it. One of mine started biting at about a year old and I only had to "lightly" (and I mean lightly) nip them back twice and tell them that "look it hurts" and they stopped. Its not cruel, its teaching them empathy. How else will they know that the consequences of what they do? There was a child at nursery who used to bite other kids and got kicked out because it was never addressed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: