Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Which scooter (if any) for a 4yo?

(7 Posts)
mynameisplonker Fri 27-May-11 10:14:47

Dd will be 4 in a few weeks and we're struggling for present ideas (any ideas gratefully received btw!).

I'm toying with the idea of getting her a scooter. She is completely bike-obsessed though, so I'm not totally convinced that it will be worth the money.

Do your children play with both or do they have a preference of one over the other?
I have older dd's, one of whom prefers her scooter and will go everywhere on that, and one who prefers her bike and much prefers to use her bike.

I don't want to get little dd a scooter and find it's a waste of money.

Anyway, if I decided to go ahead and get a scooter, which is most suitable for a 4yo?
I like the look of the mini micro scooters but I've heard that they're suitable from age 2, so am thinking it won't last her very long?
What do you think?

swampster Fri 27-May-11 13:02:33

The same company that does tha mini micro also does the maxi micro and they are fab but double the price so if you're not certain I wouldn't bother.
Alternatively, if your DDs are good at sharing, it could be used by all of them, they are much more fun than any other scooters that I have tried - I have a go on DSs' scooters sometimes when they let me. DS1 has a two-wheeler, DS2 has a maxi micro. He got his for his fourth birthday.

lechatnoir Fri 27-May-11 13:27:12

DS1 has his micro mini micro scooter from 2.5 until 5 then for his 5th birthday we got him a height adjustable 2 wheeler (not maxi micro they are silly expensive IMO). DS2 is 22mths and is already using the micro mini.
HTH
LCN

SarkyLady Fri 27-May-11 13:29:19

Agree with the others. Don't get a plastic 3 wheel mini micro.
Get a metal 2 wheeler that will last longer.

Sylvaniasandwich Fri 27-May-11 16:29:42

Go for the mini-micro - DD2 adores hers. She is 4.5 and her 7 year old sister can still use it - you can definitely get away with it until 6 I think. It's very safe to use and easy to carry.

DD1 has the maxi micro and loves it. She is not very good with balance and found a two-wheeler really hard. Expensive but worth the money.

swampster Fri 27-May-11 18:18:42

My DSs aren't enormous but by three-and-a-half or so the mini was just too small.

mynameisplonker Fri 27-May-11 23:16:14

Hmm mixed opinions. Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: