Advanced search

specific issue order

(11 Posts)
Sarahmac26 Tue 10-May-11 13:29:35

Anyone changed their childs name at court with a specific issue order. Daughter is 2 years and hasn't seen her bio dad since she was 3 weeks. He's on BC and she has his surname. I know he wont let be change it so have applied to court for a specific issue order. Just wondering if anyone else had done this and been successful

Sarahmac26 Wed 11-May-11 09:21:43

do you think I'd be more successful double barrelling the name.

Sarahmac26 Wed 18-May-11 11:18:09


1973magpie Wed 18-May-11 11:44:05

Hello, no help I'm afraid but interested to know how you get on. DD (11yrs) wants to change her surname and her bio dad won't let her either. I was told to wait until she's 16 and do it by deedpoll? Good luck smile

pinkytheshrinky Wed 18-May-11 18:09:52

You can apply to the court to do this - please do not do it even informally as the courts take a very dim view on this. I am in the process of doing this myself. If he is a no show they should grant permission in his absence

1973magpie Wed 18-May-11 22:16:32

Pinky - what shouldn't be done, even informally?

Sarahmac26 Mon 23-May-11 13:55:45

Well I've served him the papers through the post and heard through someone that he's not happy about the name change and is going to oppose it. I need a really good argument as to why its in childs best interests. 1) He hasn't seen her in nearly 2 years 2) I want her to have the same surname as my self and her sibling does anybody think this is a good enough argument? I put in the papers for a specific issue order to double barrel my daughters name to include my surname.

1973magpie Fri 27-May-11 22:25:00

Any update Sarah? Hope it is all going well.

Sarahmac26 Mon 13-Jun-11 10:00:03

went to court the other day, he turned up tracksuit, cap trainers and no solicitor. judge had to ask him to remove his cap and he has no representation which i think is a good thing hopefully he'll give up. were back at the end of the month he has to write a statement explaining his previous behaviour and why he opposes the name change

sarahtigh Mon 13-Jun-11 19:17:39

you could perhaps use your surname very informally like between friends relatives but certainly not at school doctors dentists etc. it can be hard had to explain to a mother once how we could not change her childrens detials on computer or paper without the court order she was very upset I did understand (but in her case it was ok as she then left new husband before court case so never changed it anyway,) but it was very difficult saying no we can't change her name on records good luck though

1973magpie Mon 13-Jun-11 22:55:47

Good luck in a couple of weeks Sarah, it sounds as if he isn't really that bothered if he's not made the effort for court so far...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: