Talk

Advanced search

colic support group

(15 Posts)
Filibear Tue 15-Mar-11 14:49:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

cara0705 Tue 15-Mar-11 22:44:30

have you tryed peppermint oil, heat a pan of water up to boiling point then take it off the hob then add a few drops of peppermint oil then put in a bottle n feed him it takes upto 20-30 minutes to start working but it helps, and chin up it does go away eventually

Filibear Thu 17-Mar-11 08:01:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MickyLee Thu 17-Mar-11 08:07:10

My DS was the same. It is very hard, in fact the hardest thing I have ever had to cope with.

In the end I discovered DS was allergic to my breast milk and had to switch him to Lactose free formula. From the day he want on that, he was happy. To think all that time he was in pain

Hope you find a solution x

vez123 Fri 18-Mar-11 13:19:25

My DS also had proper crying spells about 20 minutes to half an hour after feeding. He also cried loads between 5:30 pm and 7 pm. When he was tiny I would probably have about 15 minutes of a happy smiley baby, other times he was screaming or just miserable or sleeping. It was very hard. Carrying him in a sling and then pacing up and down the roads was often the only thing that calmed him down.
I frantically analysed my diet to rule out anything that could irritate him, and I found that he would be better when I left out fizzy and acidic drinks and spicy food.

Take heart, it will get better!! I saw a marked improvement after about 3 months, and after 16 weeks it was pretty much over and I had a smiley baby. It may seem like a long time still but in the grand scheme of things it isn't.
If it gets too hard, put your baby into a safe place, take a break, have a cup of tea and then go back to him.
Hope things will get better soon!

RobynLou Fri 18-Mar-11 13:23:16

I have a 6 week old who's very colicky, and a 3.5yo who gets upset by all the crying. I fed DD1 till DD2 was born (when she decided herself to stop) so I though bfing was the one thing about mothering I had sussed, starting to really doubt myself now though sad

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 18-Mar-11 13:23:53

you poor thing
i had two colicky babies and it is an utter nightmare. so draining.

do you have a partner/mum/friend who can come over to give you a break during the crying?

i have no tips other than using a sling. they still cry but at least then you're hands free. and be kind to yourself. order in lots of delicious, easy to prepare food, and rest when you can.

dd2 is now 20 weeks and a very sunny little soul indeed.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 18-Mar-11 13:25:49

robyn, my dd1 was really freaked by dd2's screaming. she spent a lot of time parked in front of a DVD while i took dd2 into the other room. it feels horrible, but doesn't last forever, and dd1 thinks dd2 is great now that she's stopped screaming and is all giggly.

dikkertjedap Fri 18-Mar-11 14:17:32

Don't use aroma therapy peppermint oil as it is much too concentrated, I suppose it may be possible to use peppermint oil in cooking flavouring section in big supermarkets but you may want to check with doctor. Also, have you discussed with GP/health visitor/midwife, because I thought that colic only starts around 7 to 8 weeks to about 16 weeks, if this is correct, then it is likely to be something else. If it is really colic, you may want to try Colief as this does seem to work with quite a few babies and many paediatricians recommend it. Good luck, you must feel so tired.

chickyhen Sat 18-Jun-11 21:59:24

my son has colic, he is 11 weeks, has been bad since week 3. i am miserable, tried everything. feel like horrible parent. first child. dont want another....

chickyhen Sat 18-Jun-11 22:01:44

just reading other moms experiences feels better, hearing it passes. when he is really bad i want to take him for a walk but i am embarrassed because people stare at me, he has quite a scream on him......

yawningbear Tue 21-Jun-11 13:48:00

MY DD who is 2.7years now, had colic and was generally quite a difficult baby so I know how awful it is but like others have said it does pass though at the time when you are in the midst of it I know that that is hard to believe. DD could scream for what seemed like hours on end. I was a total mess, could barely find the time or energy to brush my teeth let alone anything else. I think the hours of screaming tailed off at around 12 weeks, certainly most of the literature on colic suggests this is when it should subside. Again as others have said the thing that helped the most was a sling. I had a close to me carrier which I wore her in. Also gentle bouncing on a gym ball, either with her in the sling on me or being held in my arms. Things also improved hugely when I started co-sleeping and feeding lying down. A big contributor to DD's misery was that she was constantly extremely over tired, so if you do have anyting that you can do to encourage naps during the day, ie, rocking, feeding etc then I would just do it. Also if the screaming does get too much, and ime it would send me to the very edge at times, just put the baby safely down in the cot and go to another room and breathe. And chickyhen I so nearly didn't have another baby because I really didn't think I would cope again if they were the same type of baby as DD. Thankfully DP convinced me otherwise and DS who is 17 weeks is the total opposite, so chilled out. Not a great sleeper but then little babies really aren't designed to be good at that! Goodluck, it does pass and you will enjoy your babies. Also one big bonus I have found is that DD was so blooming awful as a young baby, lots of other stages have seemed like a breeze in comparison, so when those with easy babies start stressing when their babes turn into fiesty little toddlers you guys may barely notice it! Also I do have a very strong bond with my daughter and I have no doubt that the foundations were laid during those dreadful early weeks when it could so easily gone a different way, because she was so difficult to care for. So whilst all the soothing is hard work Anyway apologises for the lengthy post, I just wanted to let you know that it will come to an end. Keep thinking of things to add, the Harvey Karp book, Happiest Baby on the Block is really helpful for colicky babies & the Sears books.

iWILLdothis Thu 23-Jun-11 20:02:24

colief was the only thing that eased DD's colic. Praying DC2 (due in Oct) doesn't have colic!

Oblomov Thu 23-Jun-11 20:54:05

Total sympathy. Seriously nearly caused me a collapse, as my diabetes went mad aswell, and I literally couldn't cope.
DS1 had it. But then ds2 had it worse. cried and cried , on and off, all night. so sleep deprived, I really don't know how we got through it. and at the time ds1 was really playing me up, which later turned out to be aspergers, so it wasn't just my bad parenting ( thanks gp and hv !!)
Colief helped a bit. and i tried everything else suggested, cranial, etc etc, nothing worked.
And then at 12 weeks it just got better. That is classic. to stop at 12-13 weeks. Lord knows why.
That prob seems like an age off, to you, right now, but just hang on in there.
You have all my sympathy and hugs.
No one and i mean no one who hasn't been through it, could possibly understand how incredibly awful it is. But we all do.

PukeyRag Fri 24-Jun-11 19:15:07

Well, I haven't read all the posts, but I had the same problem as MickeyLee and had to put my DD on lactose free formula and she got better almost instantly.

Colic is awful and I spent hours with her over my arm (I think she appreciated the pressure on her tummy) and her favourite position was holding her under the arms in the air so that her body just hung (sounds horrible but ykwim!) it stopped her crying and that's how she fell asleep most of the time, but it's a total killer on the old arms! Taking her on the trampoline and gently bouncing was a good one, too. (Still works to this day)

Also infacol helped, gripe water did nothing, and also getting other people involved helped me so much, I wouldn't have dealt with it nearly as well if it hadn't been for my mum stepping in and helping (despite the fact she's never had a colicky baby)

Anyway, this wasn't that long ago, as DD is only 15 weeks but no longer has any problems of the sort. Honestly - at the time it felt like it was going to last forever, and I had a lot of doubts about being a parent. It was very difficult, but now it feels like it was a life time ago! It goes fast, and colic usually clears up around the 3 month mark so for those of you who are going through it, tell yourself that it will not last!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now