Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

90% of converation with toddler is negative form my side

(13 Posts)
bumbly Sun 16-Jan-11 22:00:34

as am disciplinging him, terlling him off, telling him telling him that

tonight have had enough

he is just a winer, whinger, cry baby negative one

wheni play wiht him he moans

if i don't he moans
if i help he moans if i don't he does

even hubby agreeing and my parents that he is a complete whinger

am i the only one to have whinging 3 1.2 year old

since born has been an unhappy child!

i have always been pretty mellow disposition but now have realised he has got me and dragged me truly down!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 16-Jan-11 22:02:49

awww, have a ((hug))
have you tried star charts and all that bribery stuff to try to turn things more positive?

bumbly Sun 16-Jan-11 22:04:07

yes and today rewarded him soo much and also gave him extra llong stories before bed and total let down with that that had to go again and tell him off

bumbly Sun 16-Jan-11 22:04:38

thanks for hug though as rally appreciated!

Cyb Sun 16-Jan-11 22:05:01

why do you tell him off

bumbly Sun 16-Jan-11 22:05:56

whinging, crying at every single thing, hitting me, not cooperating at all when getitng dressed

Cyb Sun 16-Jan-11 22:08:42

toddlers are tricky, cantankerous etc etc. But you have the power to dictate how your day goes with your son .

You are the grown up

ceebeegeebies Sun 16-Jan-11 22:09:06

Do you ignore the behaviour you don't want such as the whinging, hitting etc. Walk away from him when he is doing it or when he is whinging, just keep on chatting to him in a cheerful manner?

DS2 was a bit of a whinger but me and DH decided at Christmas when we literally had had enough that we would just ignore him when he came whinging (crying we would do something about obviously) but just the constant low-level whinging...it seems to have worked as he doesn't do it anywhere near as much now.

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 16-Jan-11 22:09:53

can you turn the 'telling off' bit into "I'd like you to do this please' and "it's time to...[go to bed / get dressed / whatever]" and get him to earn stars for it? If you feel that he is needing stars for absolute basic expections, then you can always up it to needing ten thousand before he gets the reward wink Praise every tiny glimmer of positive behaviour (exhausting in the short term, but well worth it in the longer run) and try to show him what you want by modelling it.
I think we give toddlers - and even older children - credit for 'understanding' stuff that actually they just don't, like how to behave, how to sit down, all kinds of basic stuff.

Cyb Sun 16-Jan-11 22:12:41

I agree Mrs Shrek

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 16-Jan-11 22:13:26

PS mine loved 'races' at that age - easy easy pull-on clothing if he's not willing to accept help (my dd's one of those, "I do it mysewf" from 18mo) and he gets dressed in his corner whilst you get dressed in yours. I have absolutely no idea why it works, but it does. DS2 was a lazy more laid back type, but one trip to town in his PJ's mortified him enough to get dressed in time in future...<cruel mother emoticon>

nannynobnobs Sun 16-Jan-11 22:13:34

When DD2 whines I say "Don't whine, talk properly please" and repeat. She had a BIG whiny phase and repeating this, along with making it very clear that whining NEVER got results/ignoring/turning away from whinee, managed to get things back on track. As soon as she spoke normally I would smile and respond.
Good luck... We sometimes get in a negative discipline spiral with either DD1 or 2 and it's hard to step back and start again. It can be done though

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 16-Jan-11 22:14:08

ooo, ta, cyb

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now