Talk

Advanced search

How to interact with newborn DS?

(7 Posts)
ClarasMummy Thu 13-Jan-11 16:30:05

When DD was born I was in very poor mental health so DP did most of the care/interacting in those early months. As a result I've found I'm pretty clueless with newborn DS. I know that he is still very new and such but I worry I am not interacting with him enough.
DP has gone back to work today and it has been my first day alone with them and I've found I really don't know what I should be doing to interact with him apart from the standard feeding/changing/bathing stuff.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if it's a bit of a ramble, literally don't think I've ever been this tired grin

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 13-Jan-11 16:35:07

lots of cuddles, mainly.
i witter on inanely to my 11 week old, and sometimes she babbles back.
I sing to her - nursery rhymes if dd1 is around, or just sing along to the radio. but the cuddling is the most important smile.

LoopyLoopsIsNoLongerFestive Thu 13-Jan-11 16:36:03

Just hold him and talk to him.

You'll be fine.

LovelyJudy Thu 13-Jan-11 16:40:15

don't worry about 'actively' interracting, the more you think about it the more of a thing it will become (that was my experience anyway). Cuddles, holding, chatting inanely to yourself, him or to friends and doing whatever it takes to make you happy (within reason, obv!) is perfect.

BlueberryPancake Thu 13-Jan-11 16:44:18

have a bath with him - and lots of cuddles. Put him in a sling and go for a walk? Physical contact is very important at that age. And sing to him it's lovely.

Albrecht Thu 13-Jan-11 16:58:47

Lie on the sofa with your knees up, ds on your tummy propped up against your knees. Let him stare at your face. See if he wants to hold your finger.

Stick him in a sling and kiss the top of his little head while he nods off, comforted by your smell and heartbeat.

<blubs a bit at the thought ds is too old for this...>

Elsa123 Thu 13-Jan-11 17:58:32

I was rubbish at it at first and found myself silently doing nappy changes and stuff as I was concentrating while DH could chat away happily. DD is 13 weeks now and I chat and sing to her at the time. Don't sweat it and it'll just come to you smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now