Talk

Advanced search

Daytime Babysitters and naps for 10mo

(10 Posts)
indigobarbie Wed 12-Jan-11 22:45:50

This might sound a bit daft, but I've just gone back to work a few days a week and my DS has had my Aunt looking after him.

At 7mths he was having 2 naps a day and then
one nap a day for the last few months and luckily he sleeps round about lunch time for at least an hour, sometimes two.
My Aunt has reported that he just hasn't slept for very long during the day for the last few days, and she thinks she is doing me a favour by 'tiring' him out. The trouble is, he is so overtired and more difficult to settle. I have found that he always sleeps better at night if he is not overtired. Trying to explain that to my aunt - she doesn't understand.

Could anyone comment on this, or give me an idea on how to tackle it? I know that there will come a time that he will maybe need to run off some energy etc but IME he does better with more sleep during the day and then settles so much easier at night. Am I wrong. It may just be that he is out of routine and everything because he is so used to me everyday and now that has changed?

Thanks

JetLi Wed 12-Jan-11 22:51:18

You are right & your Aunt is wrong IME. No daytime nap spells doom in an evening in this house. Maybe try the tactic of "A nap anytime before 3pm doesn't affect him at night" or something like that? Or you just need to be very frank & tell her he needs to go down for a sleep in the day...

twofalls Wed 12-Jan-11 22:53:56

You are not wrong. Dd2 is also 10 months and has recently gone down to 1 nap a day - she sleeps for 1.5 or 2 hours. When she is at nursey she sometimes sleeps a lot less than this and she is hellish. What time do you pick him up from your aunt's? Could you say he is so tired he is falling asleep before you get him home so he really dies need him lunchtime nap if at all possible. Where does he have his nap at hers - cot or pushchair? If it's different to home it could be affecting him.

indigobarbie Wed 12-Jan-11 22:54:46

Jetli thanks for your quick response! It's kindof hard (this is my first - can you tell? PFB moment hehe) other people sometimes make you feel undermined, although not intentionally.
I actually think I am right, and I want to stick to my guns - just like no large packets of chocolate buttons thanks and all that stuff.....
I'm the same, naps always do them better and don't affect bedtime, they make it better. I will just have to repeat myself until it sticks I think smile

indigobarbie Wed 12-Jan-11 22:58:21

Hi twofalls, He's still in my house which is a godsend in the morning, but I think sometimes she tries the pushchair to 'rock' him to sleep - when he really doesn't need that and can fall asleep by himself anyway.
I think it's just a case of people not knowing what to do and thinking they are doing the best? Thanks for your response, I guess I just need reassurance from other Mums smile

twofalls Wed 12-Jan-11 23:01:17

I think you just need to ask her if she could ow the same routine as you because it makes life easier. I am sure you can be tactful

indigobarbie Wed 12-Jan-11 23:02:25

Thanks, I like to think I could be, but probably come across as a paranoid first timer control freak who really wants everyone to do what I tell them smile!!!
Thanks again

twofalls Wed 12-Jan-11 23:02:31

That should say follow. Bloody iPhone!

twofalls Wed 12-Jan-11 23:02:55

That should say follow. Bloody iPhone!

indigobarbie Wed 12-Jan-11 23:06:42

I read it as follow anyway! new shorthand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now