Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a friend who's convinced taht her way of parenting is right and superior to yours?

(3 Posts)
poshsinglemum Sun 09-Jan-11 17:27:08

My best mate and I had our babies at about the same time.

She is into the whole unconditional parenting, attachment parenting, home schooling, no vaccine, lentil weavery style of doing things whereas i'm not so much. We are both single.

Sometime I feel wary of giving my dd a good bollocking etc or the way I parent as she has become quite judgemental of how other peopel parent.

I don't want to break friends but how can I convince her that there is no right or wrong way. She is very quick to call Gina Fokrd a child abuser etc. I am not into Gina ford but she is very black and white.

BooBooGlass Sun 09-Jan-11 17:31:08

You don't. There is no point in trying to change her opinion on these things. I have a similar friend who I distanced myself from after we met a new mother who she said she could tell wasn't her 'sort of person' as she was using a pram rather than a sling hmm

JoinTheDots Sun 09-Jan-11 18:15:30

Yeah, I know someone like this in my NCT group, kind of the opposite in that she had her DD in a routine by day 3, where as my DD turned me into an attachment parent type via her velco nature.

She formula feeds every 4 hours and weaned at 17 weeks, I breast feed on demand and plan to until 6 months, she put her DD in her own room at 8 weeks, I co-sleep, etc.

I know she thinks I hold DD too much, should be firmer with her and has said I am holding my DD back developmentally not letting her be independent, but its each to their own isn't it?

If I had her baby I might be different and if she had mine she might also.

The best you can do is be yourself and just keep in mind its horses for courses - say that to her too if the discussion comes up. As you said there is no right and wrong way. We all just do our best. Do not let her feel bad about anything you choose to do. Worst comes to worst - change the subject!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now