Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

anyone know of any good books re dc anger management?

(6 Posts)
nowwearefour Sun 09-Jan-11 12:53:09

My dd1 is displaying real anger issues. I suspect she has learned them from me from my previous untreated depression (now sorted). I worry about the likelihood of her becoming depressed as anger is a key sign of it in me and both her parents and lots of her grandparents are prone. i'd like to know what i cn be doing now to best help her- this anger is not healthy for her and it is not good for anyone around her.

LizinFrance Sun 09-Jan-11 14:18:01

Hi there,

Sorry cant recommend anything, but am really interested in any replies. I have 4 kids, and ds1 (10 years old) has anger problems too. Can be fine one minute, then raging the next. I too had depression problems (after his birth) and wonder if this has something to do with it.

How do you deal with it nowwearefour? 9 times out of 10, all the family end up involved and things 'explode'.

Good luck

Liz

FlyingSquirrel Sun 09-Jan-11 14:26:36

This won't solve her anger issues, but if you haven't read it, read How To Talk So Kids Will Listen....etc it will be a good start and (hopefully) encourage her to talk rather than rage.

How old is she?

nowwearefour Sun 09-Jan-11 14:29:25

thanks- have heard of this book before so will def get it (our library is shut for 2 months atm!). she is 5.5

FlyingSquirrel Sun 09-Jan-11 14:31:42

you may be able to use other libraries in your borough on your local library card

If she's only 5 it could help a lot.

Good luck.

nowwearefour Sun 09-Jan-11 14:31:45

Liz i try to be as calm as possible and say it is ok to be angry and find out what the problem is and then suggest a way of dealing with the issue in a different way. but when it has been going on all day and she snatches or throws or hits out at her sister for the umpteenth time that day i end up resorting to shouting or doing some equally other unhelpful thing. i am always sure to tell her i love her all the time and cuddle her once a punishment eg time out has been completed. but it is so very tough. she is either v v up or v v down which is hard for everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: