Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

colic!!

(9 Posts)
Chucklecheeks Thu 06-Jan-11 22:26:59

Any tips for surviving colic? It's been going on a week now and I can not see me and DH coping for the expected three months x

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Thu 06-Jan-11 22:48:19

A sling.

And look for "the tiger in the tree" hold on you tube.

Not the same thing but this really helped with my ds2's reflux so could imagine it would work with colic.

Sorry don't know of anything else.

LindtLover Thu 06-Jan-11 23:49:08

Ah, colic! I remember it well!

These are my top tips:

a sling like the moby is great so yu can get on with things

swaddle baby and gently cradle/rock in arms or one of those motorised cradle rockers

play a CD of white noise quite loudly or stand next to microwave/dishwasher/hoover

walk in the pram or trip in car if desperate

once round the garden in the middle of the night worked often for us

a dummy AT ALL TIMES!!

baths in a tummy tub baby bath

co sleeping (safely!) when sleep just has to be had

We used Infacol before every feed and I think it helped get burps up, we should have taken out shares we bought so many bottles.

My MW gave me some great advice, she said that if the baby is going to scream whether you are soothing her or not and you are near breaking point put baby somewhere safe (on playmat on the floor etc) and go into another room. Turn on the hoover so you can't hear them and just have 2 minutes to yourself. It makes all the difference in the world. I only had to do this a few times but after 3 months of wall-to-wall colic it was a welcome relief at times!

Hope it gets better soon!

newmum001 Fri 07-Jan-11 10:42:05

I have no advice on colic but egarding white noise, the extractor fan above the oven on it's highest setting is a godsend in our house!!

YummyMummy1208 Sat 08-Jan-11 04:20:34

I know what you're going through, we hav a 10 wk old who started with it a week after she was born and I never thought wed get through it but we have and u will, just take each day at a time and the weeks soon pass.
After 7 wks of it the thing that iv found seems to end the hours of crying much sooner is having a pram in the house or her pushchair and putting her in it all wrapped up then rocking it in our living room, once she's asleep we carry her up to her bed and if she wakes up and will not settle with dummy I just take her bak down to the pram to do it all again! She is so much better now at ten weeks, we've gone from 4 or 5 hrs of constant crying every night to maybe 1 nite a week with an hour or so of it so it does eventually end!
Just love him/her as much as you can to get them through it and try get an evening a week off if u have any babysiytters you can call upon!xx

manchestermummy Sat 08-Jan-11 08:21:12

Have you tried something called Colief? You can get it on prescription as it's about £11 a bottle. You add it to a bottle (or to some expressed breastmilk) and it can help some babies. It seems to be helping our DD2 (8 weeks) who's been colicky for the last 4/5 weeks.

missldi Sat 08-Jan-11 08:56:57

DD had it for four months.I was recovering from an EMC and my DH was working evenings. I can honestly say I cried more in those months than in my entire life.
I tried infacol, colief, swaddling, gripe water, white noise,special formula(was combination feeding), breast on demand to the extent I was wandering around like a demented bare breasted Amazon- and eventually baby massage which seemeed to help.
Then, one night, she just stopped. All I can say is that it eventually passes.
If you can, get someone to give you a break so you can leave the house for ten minutes so you physically can't hear that gut wrenching sound. It makes all the difference mentally.
Sending you best wishes-it will get better.

Chucklecheeks Thu 13-Jan-11 18:14:13

Just thought I would give you an update. dSbhas been particularly bad over the last few days but we began to notice more of a pattern that surrounded feeding. After he turned blue last night and stopped breathing we have spent the day at the hospital. Turns out he does not have colic, he has silent reflux. It got worse as the day went on. All of the symptoms that I gave to my gp match silent reflux. I went back to thensurgery this morning and luckily my gp was not available and I saw the new gp who turns out used to be a peadiatric dr. She took one look at him, luckily he was displaying the symptoms and sent us the the hospital. He was obseved all day and we have been prescribed medication. We speak he is led in his Moses basket, cooing, but getting sleepy. For thelast four weeks at this time he has been screaming.
The consultant at the hospital said that many gp simply out any fussiness down to colic and often do not look at the possibility of another answer.
Thank you for all your advice and I hope me giving an update does not lessen what you went through. I am n ot saying that you could have found a solution as my gp did as colic is awful xxxx

Chucklecheeks Thu 13-Jan-11 18:15:33

Please ignore spelling, writing one handed whilst making tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now