Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

When do you brush teeth?

(7 Posts)
Morph2 Thu 06-Jan-11 22:13:23

My DS (nearly 8 months) has just got his first tooth so I thought i'd better start trying to get into habit of brushing morning and night. Tonight being first time I did after his bath when he was getting dried and dressed which he was fine with, but as part of our set routine dad then gives him his bottle which settles him. Is it defeating the object of brushing teeth if he then drinks milk immediately after, should we be brushing after milk and if so how can we do this without getting him all hyper and excited again.

TickettyBoo Thu 06-Jan-11 22:37:44

Can't respond but thank you for posting as I have the same question! lol, lo is just cutting her first tooth so it's nearly through and was wondering about brushing - will watch with interest x

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Thu 06-Jan-11 22:45:25

It just becomes part of the routine eventually so it gets less exciting. Trust me grin

We always brush in the morning, always after his first cup of milk but before breakfast.

And last thing at night it's cuddles, milk and stories, then teeth and bed.

IlovePeterAndre Fri 07-Jan-11 15:10:28

I generally brush and mouthwash in the morning. Brush before i go to bed and then floss once a week.

TheSugarPlumFairy Fri 07-Jan-11 22:10:57

morph we have the same issue. i tried brushing DD's teeth after her bottle but it just wound her up (she is not a fan of toothbrushes it seems) so at the moment we are doing it in the bath and then giving her the milk when she is dressed and about to go to bed.

it probably is defeating the object but at this point i think it is probably more important to establish the routine of brushing teeth and getting her used to the brush in her mouth.

maybe when she is a bit older we can move to doing her teeth after her bottle.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Fri 07-Jan-11 22:54:28

Everything I've heard and read (eg on our postnatal course) is that teeth should ideally be cleaned after bottlefeeding because otherwise the milk can pool in the mouth and cause tooth decay.

Bf is less of a problem apparently because the milk gets sucked to the back of the mouth rather than going around the teeth. (See here.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Fri 07-Jan-11 22:55:01

Maybe you could start doing them before the bottle, then when he's used to it, change to doing it afterwards?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: