Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

milk at night

(2 Posts)
cleoismycat Thu 06-Jan-11 13:43:50

My dd will be 3 at the end of March. She tends to take a bottle to bed (I know, I know). We take the bottle away once she's asleep, usually within half hour. She has now started waking in the night and asking for a little bit of milk and gets hyterical when i tell her there isn't any until the morning. How on earth am I going to break this habit? She refuses milk in anything except a bottle at home, she'll use a cup at nursery.

any advice appreciated.

13lucky Thu 06-Jan-11 13:58:00

I have been tough on my two - with my eldest I tried and tried until I found a cup that she would drink the milk out of...it was a cup with a straw which went all the way to the bottom of the cup. I only faffed about keep trying to find one that she would drink out of because she has medicine daily that needs dissolving in the milk and I have to make sure she drinks it.

With my second child, I just threw all the bottles away at 15 months and told him it was milk out of a cup now. He refused the milk for a few days and in fact gave up milk at night totally at that point, but they don't need it by that age anyway so long as they have a good diet.

After a few days he realised the bottles weren't coming back and started to drink the milk from the cup and so has his milk from a Tommee Tippee cup when he wakes in the morning.

It worked for us. I think the problem is, they will resist it whatever but by throwing all the bottles out, I couldn't relent and give in - he just had to get used to it!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: