Talk

Advanced search

need help with weaning!

(5 Posts)
DaniJade1990 Thu 06-Jan-11 10:36:57

Hi everyone, I'm completely lost with weaning! I was advised to start my dd on baby rice then introduce a breakfast! I gave her baby rice for a week and have started with Heinz baby porridge. However she only ate a little bit of it and according to the instructions a 6 month old should be eating loads! (9desertspoons of porridge and water) I don't know where to go from here as she's still not having just a breakfast after 2 weeks and I'm not sure when to introduce dinner! All guides seem to tell me diff things! Sorry for the essay any help is appreciated!

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 10:39:54

How old is your baby?

I would tend to ignore the packet guide and be more led by what your baby wants

TBH the baby porridge mied with water probably tastes vile grin

If she's over 6m I would give Weetabix or Readybrek (both low in salt and sugar) mixed with normal cow's milk (or breast or formula milk if you prefer)

DaniJade1990 Thu 06-Jan-11 10:52:07

Just over 6months! I'm just worried that by now I should be starting on lunch aswell and lowering the amount of bottles she has! So confusing! Ill try her with some weetabix!

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 11:00:22

Milk should still be the main bulk of her diet

I would try a little weetabix in the mornings
for a week or so

If she seems interested and into the solids, try something at lunch or dinner time

Gradually increase the amounts in line with what she's demanding, IYSWIM

At 6m+ they can eat most things and you can try finger foods as well

Justalittlereindeer Thu 06-Jan-11 14:20:04

There is no rush whatsoever. Take your baby's lead.

If you're not liking the schedules/pressure of weaning, have a look into Baby Led Weaning.

We did it, and it's great. No stress or pressure. You let your baby lead the way, you just give them lots of opportunity to play with all sorts of different foods and learn how to eat. It's all at their pace.

As PP said, milk should form the vast majority of her intake, and this is the case right up until they are 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now