Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Car seats in the front?

(12 Posts)
Sarahlou8 Wed 05-Jan-11 10:06:12

Hi, wondered if anyone has any advice?

I really hate having my 10 week old baby in her car seat in the back of the car, I'd much prefer her in the front with me, where I can see her and reassure her in the same way I would when she is in her pram.

So...

Is it acceptable, or even legal, to have her in the front passenger seat in her rearward facing infant carrier with the Airbags disabled?

Thanks

mistressploppy Wed 05-Jan-11 10:07:38

I think it's legal but much much safer for her to be in the back. Can you get one of those mirrors that let's you see her in the rear view mirror? She will still hear your voice and be comforted

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 05-Jan-11 10:08:57

Perfectly reasonable. Just don't get distracted!

Al1son Wed 05-Jan-11 10:13:25

As long as you're sure the airbag is disabled there's no reason not to have her in the front. She will be better off for being able to see you in the same way as babies who can see the person pushing their buggies are better off.

However Pretty makes a good point. Pushing a pushchair is still safe if you lose concentration for a moment as you chat to her. It will be hard not to make eye contact with her when she's trying to attract your attention all the time.

Sarahlou8 Wed 05-Jan-11 10:15:57

Mistressploppy - No, the mirror is no good until she's in a front facing car seat (had one with the older two and it was brilliant)

When she's in her infant carrier she faces the back seat and can't see me at all.

She's never liked being in a car seat at the best of times and will often cry herself to sleep. I feel awful listening to her and being unable to do a thing about it.sad

PipIsOutNow Wed 05-Jan-11 10:25:53

i have my little boy in the front with me...have done since he was born...car seat was fitted properly by mothercare and all front passenger airbags are disabled...it's much easier as it's usually just me and him and he likes it much better in the front where he can see me...he's 5 months now...when my partner and i take him out, he goes in the back in an isofix base though...

mamatomany Wed 05-Jan-11 10:40:40

I have my baby in the front, as the others say it's not the safest option but he's in the best car seat and i drve extremley carefully with the children in the car, stick to all speed limits, no radio on etc.

yeovalleyrocks Wed 05-Jan-11 13:20:43

I used to have my dd1 in the front. The car seat wouldnt fit in the back but did in the front. We had no airbags in the front.

It was nice being able to see her but it was a pain trying to sort out sunshades!

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Wed 05-Jan-11 20:23:28

You can get mirrors for the back seat so you can see a child in a rear facing seat.

In yeo's situation where the car seat doesn't fit in the back I would have them in the front but otherwise i'd rather have them Rear Facing in the back seat where it is safer and use a mirror to chat away to them. (Although mine don't need a mirror as they chat to each other and ignore me lol)

PorkChopSter Wed 05-Jan-11 20:25:35

You can get mirrors so you can see them.

You might be a fantastic driver but you can't trust the rest of the idiots on the road, can you.

Al1son Wed 05-Jan-11 20:59:50

Is there some evidence that the back seats are safer than the front? Apart from the possibility of being covered in glass if the windscreen shatters I can't see any difference myself.

Sarahlou8 Thu 06-Jan-11 10:43:32

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have turned off the airbag and she's in the front with me from now on smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: