Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Making my rented house baby proof

(8 Posts)
muslimah28 Tue 04-Jan-11 10:41:58

Hi

Can anyone advise me on the essentials for babyproofing? I live in a rented house so don't want to do what I don't have to. I'm thinking of just doing pressure stair gates and one kitchen cupboard 'lock' thingy (for the cupboard with cleaning materials) and plug socket covers.

Also do pressure stair gates and the kitchen cupboard lock thingy leave any marks once removed? I have a reasonable landlord so I'm sure he wont mind but would like to know what I'm talking about before I ask permission iyswim

tia

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Tue 04-Jan-11 13:10:53

Well IMO, Baby proofing really isn't necessary, I have recently put a gate going across the kitchen but that's more so I can cook and drink a cup of tea in peace. lol.

If I lived in a house I would probably put a gate at the top/bottom of the stairs maybe.

Plug socket covers are more dangerous than the sockets themselves so I wouldn't bother with that.

Everything else I have just moved up high, out of reach etc.

I'm pretty sure you can get clip on drawer locks if you wanted them but the screw in one's only leave a very tiny hole on the inside of the cabinet door so if you have a reasonable landlord I don't see why it should be a problem.

Firawla Tue 04-Jan-11 13:40:14

assalamu alaykum
you can get some kind of cupboard lock that goes on with suction instead of screwing in, so maybe just ask the landlord which they prefer? we rent too and one of our cupboards actually came with that on, so we just have cleaning things in their and the rest im not bothered if dc open it as not too dangerous. well one other one that has glass things in i just tied up with a hijab actually till they forgot about going in there then took it off, so you can always improvise for the temporary things.
pressure stair gates shouldnt leave a mark, not that we have used any but i really doubt they would?
the main thing is just moving dangerous/breakable stuff higher out of reach as the previous poster said

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 04-Jan-11 13:46:34

I'm sure your LL won't want the safety lock on the cleaning materials cupboard taken off, my rented flat already had one.

We put plug socket covers and a stairgate.

Pixie - how are the socket covers more dangerous? Should I not have them?

wolfhound Tue 04-Jan-11 13:48:02

HI there. I would just say that I do think stair gates are pretty important, unless you are going to keep an eagle eye at all times. Also, pressure gates at the top of stairs are not that safe, because once DCs are pulling up/standing, they will throw their whole weight on to the stair gate and it can pop out, propelling them down the stairs. My parents put a pressure gate up when we visit them, and I stand a table in front of it, so it's a bit harder for DCs to get to the gate (but they do...) I haven't put any cupboard locks on in our house, but I moved everything dangerous (cleaning fluids/bin bags/ glass jars etc.) to higher cupboards - only practical if you have enough higher cupboard room. I also fixed a lot of free-standing furniture to the walls - that might be an issue in a rented place, but perhaps you could discuss with your landlord. My DCs do pull at bookcases etc. and a lot of our furniture is old & heavy (and our floors not very even) so wouldn't be comfortable with danger of furniture falling. The holes in the wall for this are not that big (like putting up pictures really) so could be puttied/plastered over afterwards. Good luck!

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Tue 04-Jan-11 14:10:08

Iamthecookiemonster.

here

If I remember correctly there's some video's on YouTube explaining why as well.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 04-Jan-11 17:25:44

thanks pixie :-) i'll watch it now

Hammerlikedaisies Tue 04-Jan-11 17:32:55

My daughter has just bought a playpen which is lovely and can be set at several levels. I never had one for my own kids, but this one is great because it could last for a good long time. She can move it into different rooms and when her baby is older, she'll make it into a den.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: