Talk

Advanced search

If you had to stay out of the house 9-3 everyday with 2.5yo & 6mo WWYD?

(82 Posts)

We are moving about 15/20 odd miles away for a while so every day I need to drive DH to work, DS to school (we have 2 cars but dhs work & school are quite close & timings are good) but I think it'll be timely & costly (&boring!) to drive back 'home' again to come back out again. So I have 6 hours to fill but no idea what to do (DS2 is very niosy so not library!) Any ideas...?

AnnoyingOrange Sun 02-Jan-11 16:52:58

TBH I'd go back 'home' - petrol would probably be cheaper than coffee/lunch/entertainment for 6 hrs

Rindercella Sun 02-Jan-11 16:53:23

Do you have any friends nearby?

A day or two a week might be do-able, but for me spending all day, every day, out and about with a baby & toddler would be impossible and I would mostly go home in between.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 02-Jan-11 16:54:22

More realistic to plan activities for some days and go home for others.

Some adult education courses Vailable for parents and toddlers.

MrsBadger Sun 02-Jan-11 16:55:02

call me silly but can dh not drive ds and you stay home witht the other two?

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 16:55:59

bit too long really, isn't it 9-3?

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 17:11:00

see if you can arrange a babysitter through the hotel and enjoy your night without the worry

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 17:12:07

sorry, wrong thread...

Lulumaam Sun 02-Jan-11 17:13:08

ewvery day??? not a chance. you need time at home to catch up on house stuff...

i'd find something to do for 2 - 3 days, but not for the whole time.. what aboud DS napping?

what about your down time?

sounds hidesouly wearing and a bad idea

sorry x

Consuela39 Sun 02-Jan-11 17:17:27

yes could DH not take DS and you stay home?

I really would struggle with your other plan tbh.

thenightsky Sun 02-Jan-11 17:18:50

15 to 20 miles is nothing... go home FFS. It's a 15 min drive.

Rindercella Sun 02-Jan-11 17:19:32

MrsB, why can't I have thought quite so...err logically as you? confused grin

ZZZenAgain Sun 02-Jan-11 17:20:48

is it something to do with the timing that prevents dh taking ds in his car? If you have two cars, why do you have to drop off both dh and ds? Presumably the other car is just in the garage then

shushpenfold Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:29

thenightsky....not if it's country roads it's not. I have a similar dilemma but without the children with me. Where I live though it's 18 miles of country roads, one way bridges and tractors so it takes 35 mins one way on a really good day.

ChippingIn Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:31

Can DH not take DS to school and you pick him up? - or at least get DH to do some long days and some short days so you aren't going every day?

It depends on the town you are going back to too - softplay, toddler groups, gym classes (toddler), gym for you - creche for kids... walks in the woods and visit friends A LOT. Sounds mad to me though - I'd either sort DH taking DS or just go home after dropping them off - it's only 15/20 miles.

Merle Sun 02-Jan-11 17:21:32

What about all your jobs at home? You'll be getting home mid-afternoon, three children to sort out and it all to do? I don't think it will work, for this and for all the other reasons that people have said.

i would get DH to drop kid at school, is there anyreason he cant?

Chandon Sun 02-Jan-11 17:24:43

I would go home

TitianTinselTemptress Sun 02-Jan-11 17:29:31

Can DH take DS to school and you then collect him? (I am assuming DH won't be able to finish work early enough to pick him up!)

Rebeccaruby Sun 02-Jan-11 17:57:10

It would seem a long time to be out every day. By the time you have paid for entry to places, coffee etc., I don't think you would save any petrol money. Perhaps get a sing along nursery rhyme type tape for the car, or teach I Spy, so that the eldest has something to do on the drive.

It might be a good idea for Summer, though, on days when the weather is good. Is there a lovely park where DH works, or is there some nice countryside just a short drive away? If we have a scorching Summer hmm then you could take a blanket, nappies and a picnic, with some books and outdoor toys, and it could be quite idyllic.

It can take up to an hour to get back, just thought driving back and forth would drive me bonkers blush DH can't take DS because he works 8-4, although we are going to find out if he can do 9.15-5.15 and DS go to after school club, but it's unlikely. It's 25 miles according to googlemap (not very good estimater!) If I am not there in the day then it won't get messy grin I was thinking of maybe going home some days... DS2 will be starting the odd afternoon/morning of pre-school too though , so will definatly have to hang around those days.

tribpot Sun 02-Jan-11 18:10:36

Is there no before school club ds could go to? That seems like a very hassle-ish way to do things, what would you do if one of the little ones isn't well enough to do c. 4 hours in the car one day?

Firawla Sun 02-Jan-11 18:14:47

if you find a group in the morning and one in the afternoon then you would have pretty much covered it? (10-12 + 1-3) if you have children's centres etc nearby?

ivykaty44 Sun 02-Jan-11 18:17:03

leisure center - swim
leisure center creche and keep fit type class

park and swings

coffee shop

library to finish off

change leisure center for soft play area

mamatomany Sun 02-Jan-11 18:23:18

I was going to do this about 7 years ago, we lasted a week before I made DH buy me a car so he did the drive and then carried on to work whilst I stayed home with the little ones. I could have joined tumble tots, rhythm time and all that to kill time but then I wouldn't have been able to invite people around for a coffee and a play 40 mins down the motorway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now