Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Too poorly to shop?

(5 Posts)
Porcelain Sat 01-Jan-11 12:19:54

How do you decide whether a baby needs to be kept in or can go out when he's poorly?

DS has sniffles, his dad had full blown man flu before xmas, but ds (4 months) is getting away with the odd cough, sneeze and a stuffy/runny nose for the past week. He seems well enough in himself (he has had a couple of days back to back where he was clearly miserable) and I am very tempted to take him into town for a wander about (in a sling and snowsuit), but I have a niggling feeling that I probably shouldn't.

If I asked my mother I know she would tell me to stay in, but she's a worrier and a bit precious. At the same time I don't want to make him more poorly.

It's hard when I don't know how he's feeling. Do you have some kind of indicator or cut off point, or is it just a case of best guess and see how it goes?

rubyslippers Sat 01-Jan-11 12:24:17

If my children have a fever they stay in

Sounds like some fresh air would be good for you and him?

Firawla Sat 01-Jan-11 12:30:42

If he's ok in himself then I probably would? I find if they are not too bad then getting out the house gives them a bit of distraction and makes them feel better. Wrap him up warm and should be fine, bring him back earlier if you feel it was a mistake once you are out?

ilythia Sat 01-Jan-11 12:57:32

If my children have a mild fever I take them out to garden just to lower the fever rather than calpol it.
If they are coughy/snotty/bit miserable they come shopping with me but get extra treats in the trolley to alleviate guilt.

Porcelain Sat 01-Jan-11 13:03:33

Awesome thanks. I do think we could both do with a change of scene.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: