How do you decide whether a baby needs to be kept in or can go out when he's poorly?
DS has sniffles, his dad had full blown man flu before xmas, but ds (4 months) is getting away with the odd cough, sneeze and a stuffy/runny nose for the past week. He seems well enough in himself (he has had a couple of days back to back where he was clearly miserable) and I am very tempted to take him into town for a wander about (in a sling and snowsuit), but I have a niggling feeling that I probably shouldn't.
If I asked my mother I know she would tell me to stay in, but she's a worrier and a bit precious. At the same time I don't want to make him more poorly.
It's hard when I don't know how he's feeling. Do you have some kind of indicator or cut off point, or is it just a case of best guess and see how it goes?
If he's ok in himself then I probably would? I find if they are not too bad then getting out the house gives them a bit of distraction and makes them feel better. Wrap him up warm and should be fine, bring him back earlier if you feel it was a mistake once you are out?
If my children have a mild fever I take them out to garden just to lower the fever rather than calpol it. If they are coughy/snotty/bit miserable they come shopping with me but get extra treats in the trolley to alleviate guilt.