Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

help me stop 2yo DD from swearing <hangs head in shame>

(15 Posts)
titferbrains Wed 29-Dec-10 14:05:20

me and DH are terrible for swearing, I've sort of meant to stop for some time but it's rather ingrained... am now dealing with the shame of DD saying fuck's sake when anything vaguely irritates her eg. fussing with dolly's nappy, not being able to get a lid off something etc, all perfectly in context. WE have been ignoring and changing subject quickly but from today I've said it's not nice to say that and don't say it again - absolutely no effect whatsoever. SHe is starting at a very small preschool in a couple of weeks and it's going to be pretty obvious if she says it there, it's not particularly noisy.

any tips to try and stop it? someone on another thread said to replace it with Fox but when coupled with "sake" it still sounds bad. Shall I try with duck's face? EEEk am so embarrassed, my parents have been teasing us since she was born wondering if her first word would be fuck... of course they think this is all pretty funny now but are equally keen to make it stop!

llareggub Wed 29-Dec-10 14:08:12

You are going to have to stop swearing yourself.

My 4 year old DS said "bloody window" yesterday and I was so cross with myself for saying it in front of him. Of course he said it a few times to try it out and I have told him he is not to say it. Of course, I will have to follow suit!

CybilScissorhands Wed 29-Dec-10 14:08:42

You need to stop swearing

Monkey see, monkey do

titferbrains Wed 29-Dec-10 14:15:28

obviously have stopped swearing !!! need to focus on her tho, she is saying it waaaay too often.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Wed 29-Dec-10 14:18:49

2 simple steps

1. Ignore, Ignore, Ignore

2. Stop swearing

That's all you can do.

CybilScissorhands Wed 29-Dec-10 14:21:23

ignoring is best

she doesnt understand that they are bad words, they are just words to her

you've made your bed I'm afraid!

mummyshreddingnora Wed 29-Dec-10 14:21:40

my dd once learnt 'bugger' from DH angry and we tried ignoring it... but she repeated it constantly for a good 10 mins! So in the end I told her it was a horrible word and daddy was naughty for saying it and so was she - she then helped me 'tell' daddy off and didn't say it since... I think I got off lucky!

BosomForAPillow Wed 29-Dec-10 16:13:58

You need to drop something on the floor and scream out "Oh! Crumbs!" as if it is the worst swear word in the world and then cover your mouth as if you shouldn't have said that.

Later stub your toe and shout it out again.

Hopefully "Fuck's sake!" will become crumbs or another harmless one of your choice.

I've heard of this working with a few sweary children.

Good luck grin

saffy85 Wed 29-Dec-10 16:48:09

My DD favours the word bugger. Damn myself and my mother! blush

Only advice I can offer is ignore it and stop swearing.

titferbrains Wed 29-Dec-10 22:43:53

just discussing this with family and saying that we all need to stop swearing and managed to swear in the next 2 sentences. It's not looking good is it? sad

handsoffmycake Thu 30-Dec-10 08:48:16

Stop swearing! My DS who is 2.9 also picked up a couple of unsavioury words from me. I dont really swear but have had a couple of falls recently and just shouted out blush

I have told DS not to say those words as they are rude and to instead use other words like "oooh blimey" or "Goodness Me"

Its worked so far...

SantaIsAnAnagramOfSatan Thu 30-Dec-10 08:52:45

i explain to ds that he musn't say word 'x' in front of people because they will think he is rude or badly brought up blush

rather than the 'bad word' track i go down the social reaction bit - as in people don't like it when you use that word, they think it's rude and means you're naughty.

seemed to work here.

although bugger and bloody (all he has come up with so far at nearly 4) do slip out sometimes he does it coyly and for effect iyswim and when i say, ayyy!! he laughs and says sorry mummy.

i'm a swearer. i restrain myself as much as i can but can't stop altogether but explain to my neice and nephews for example that they shouldn't swear because people will think they're stupid and inarticulate.

SMulledwineS Thu 30-Dec-10 09:01:47

My step daughter came here the other week.. here are a few she brought with her!!

'Open this fucking door'
'What the fuck are you doing'
'You've knocked my fucking brains out'
'Fuck this'
'Shut the hell up'

Turns out Mummy and Step Daddy swear not only when she and her step brother are in the room but also at them.

Sat her down and had a chat with her, we didnt get angry or tell her off. She now knows they are very naughty words and that if she continues to say them she will get into trouble. Her reply was a classic 'Daddy T says im allowed to swear in his house' angry shes only 5!!

We didnt shout at her just explained that they were naughty words and even adults shouldnt say them. Since then she said hell once in a sentence and as soon as she did it she covered her mouth and said sorry.

I second the idea about dropping something and shouting 'oh crumbs' I say 'Oh poo sticks'

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 09:03:30

Well, yes, stop swearing in front of her, but making it into "Fox says/what does fox say?" with the cunning purchase of a fox hand puppet got us through an unfortunate episode.

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 09:04:18

Ew to poo sticks, though! DD has taken to saying "Bother!" for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now