Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

You can't co-sleep on a memory form mattress can you?

(11 Posts)
Caz10 Sun 26-Dec-10 14:45:48

Or memory foam or whatever you call it? Pg with dc2 and thinking back to night time traumas with Dd I wish I'd started co-sleeping sooner. Want to get set up to do it safely before birth, but we currently have a memory whatsit mattress and I'm sure I read somewhere that they are not recommended?

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 26-Dec-10 15:06:06

I am not sure sorry - have never had a memory foam mattress so not quite sure how much they 'dip' or would cause rolling? Definitely can't sleep on a waterbed if that's what you were thinking of!

Old mattresses are not recommended due to sagging and rolling. Would also depend on how you intend to do it I think - I cosleep on my own (DH needs his sleep hmm) so there is little roll towards me. I wouldn't want to put a baby in the middle personally anyway - but can imagine with a heavier partner next to you might be more of an issue.

Anyway, sorry I don't know the answer!

purcellfan Sun 26-Dec-10 15:20:13

You're not supposed to incase the matress dips and the baby gets stuck etc. We have a tempur one, it's actually pretty firm, but used a bed side cot just in case when ds was little.

MummyBerryJuice Sun 26-Dec-10 15:29:05

No, it isn't recommended.

But... we have one and have reluctantly co-slept virtually every night since DS was born. (Now 1 year old).

We can't afford to buy a new mattress and DS wouldn't sleep anywhere else but next to me.

It is important to know the recommendations and to decide for yourself whether you are willing to risk not following some of them

BlueberryPancake Sun 26-Dec-10 21:56:27

I also find that our memory foam mattress retain heat much more than normal mattresses. I wouldn't do it personally.

What we ended up doing for a while was to put our DS' cot bed with one side off, next to our bed. It was just about the same hight as our bed. It worked OK but not ideal.

maltymoo Sun 26-Dec-10 22:10:08

I have a memory foam mattress that we bought when DD (now 10 months) was a few weeks old...desperate attempt to get more sleep!!I have co slept with her since day 1, & the mattress has never been an issue for us...tbh, the few hours of sleep I ever get in one go are much enhanced by my lovely, comfy bed!I would say, though that when it was new the mattress had a strong smell which lasted about a week once out of the packaging, so if you can I would buy in advance and allow to de-stink before you need to use it!

Caz10 Mon 27-Dec-10 09:52:43

Thank you all! We already have the mattress so the new-ness is not an issue.

I co-slept with dd from about 8-9mths when I went back to work, but by then she was big enough for a grobag and I just put her in that on top of the quilt. My DH also needs his sleep hmm angry, so I had plenty of space and just put her between me and a bed rail.

But I am thinking back to the many hours spent trying to settle her in her moses basket, and just think what a bloody waste of time! Can't face doing all that again, esp with a lively 3yr old to look after during the day too!

otchayaniye Wed 29-Dec-10 10:11:43

I am pregnant and plan to co-sleep with my second as well. I have a Tempur mattress and it's fairly firm, but I'm planning to buy a mattress topper (Ikea). This will help avoid the 'heatiness' issue of memory foam as well as the issue of potential suffocation.

I also have an Amby so aim to use that next to the bed but even with that I ended up co-sleeping some of the night and by 8 months fully in the bed. But then the memory foam wasn't an issue as she had good head control then.

Caz10 Wed 29-Dec-10 14:14:01

Good idea thank you, hadnt thought of a topper.

If they are on top of the quilt do you think that cancels the memory form effect?

ALH28 Fri 31-Dec-10 18:39:06

What clothes do you put your lo in to co-sleep?
I co-sleep with 11 week old ds but worry about what to out him in!

At the moment he wears a baby grow and a grobag with no covers - is this too much?

I also have a sprung memory foam mattress, I would prefer to use a regular mattress but that is not an option and I can't stand the fight to get him in the crib!!

Caz10 Sat 01-Jan-11 14:50:53

Do you have him on top of the quilt ALH28? That is exactly how I used to have DD (vest under babygro too) but she was a good bit older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now