Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Halfway through "Unconditional Parenting" and wondering if I should just put my DC up for adoption now!

(4 Posts)
stickersarecurrency Thu 23-Dec-10 14:07:47

Anyone else read it? Tell me he's going to suggest other ways of dealing with children at some point! It's very uncomfortable reading. And a very strong argument against, ooh, everything I'm doing on a daily basis.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Thu 23-Dec-10 14:19:54

Yes, the suggestions come later in the book (although I'm only half way through that bit).

I think he makes the point that having been doing the things that he criticises doesn't show you've been a bad parent, just that you hadn't been informed there was a better way.

There have been quite a few threads on this approach on here lately - worth searching for UP or unconditional parenting. I found them reassuring!

stickersarecurrency Thu 23-Dec-10 14:30:21

Ooh thanks, I'll have a look. I'm finding it compelling but very, very depressing.

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Thu 23-Dec-10 14:39:03

It throws you, doesn't it? My DS is only 12 months so it's less of an issue for me. But similarly, reading 'How to talk so kids can learn' made me regret a lot of the way I interacted with children when I used to be a teacher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: