Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

exhausted

(14 Posts)
ninaandbean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:07:50

My LO is 5 months. He WONT STOP CRYING

there is nothing wrong, it's not sick crying, not pain crying, not tired crying, just cross give me attention all the time crying.

I am exhausted, home alone, with so much to do before Christmas and I am just stuck here, covered in bloody baby puke, with no opportunity to wash/cook/clean let alone wrap presents or relax.

What should I try?? I've already been for a miserable walk in the sleeting rain to try and calm him. Fed him, changed him, played with him, sang to him. It's driving me insane!!! Help!!

moflee57 Mon 20-Dec-10 15:29:17

Aw poor you - its so bloody tough.
Have you tried a baby door bouncer? I've found with my first and second LOs that at around 4-5 months its often boredom crying that makes them want attention - another way to view the world that gives them a bit of independance can buy you a precious 20 min slot. Also and I am not advocating leaving them there for hours on end, but putting on a dvd or a relatively educational kids channel like cbeebies can entertain even a 5 month old for enough time to give you a chance to have a break. I know how you feel though - I have a 3 month old (currently in his door bouncer gurgling at me) and a three year old (currently dismantling the kitchen cupboards) here on my tod whilst wrap pressies - it's chaos!

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Mon 20-Dec-10 15:34:16

I had to do everything with DD in a sling.

moflee57 Mon 20-Dec-10 15:34:25

p.s if you do get 20 mins - don't wrap/clean - have a warm bath and a glass of wine - sounds like you need it!

ninaandbean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:41:07

moflee... thanks! glimmer of hope...

I think we do have a door bouncer somewhere that we were given when he was born... I'll go find it!! I've finally managed to get him down for a nap, I think he basically cried himself out. Boredom probably does sum it up. I feel terrible for saying it, but I think I'm a bit fed up and bored sometimes too! We play a lot and have lovely times together, but now and then I just need a bit of time out. DH working every hour god sends is something to be grateful for, but well, I do miss him being around. I think he's frustrated too, he can't roll or crawl yet but he gets so fed up in one place. Being carried around by mummy is much more interesting! I have a sling, but he's a big boy (nearly 18lb) and I just get backache after a while.

Thanks for replying, so nice to know you're not alone.Bath/vino is an excellent idea for this evening!

MegBusset Mon 20-Dec-10 15:48:05

Have you got a bouncy chair - was a godsend at this age (or even a bumbo). Can you prop him up in front of a pile of pots/pans/utensils - seem to be much preferable to actual toys. Also yes put in front of Night Garden for ten mins if need be!

Hang in there. It does get better when they can sit up by themselves. Then they start to crawl and it gets harder all over again...

moflee57 Mon 20-Dec-10 15:50:51

Door bouncer is also hilarious viewing for you! Set it up and when he wakes up put him in it, pour yourself a drink, pull up a chair and let him entertain you for a change!
All jobs are boring from time to time - this one can be acutely mundane amidst the general heartwarming mummying stuff. I feel like banging my head against a wall daily - you are not alone!
Babies I find always brighten up around the sitting up stage where they can get on with playing in a more independant way - they just seem to reach maximum frustration around 4-5 month stage.
Good luck nineandbean - let me know if you have a laugh at the river dance door bouncer routine!

ninaandbean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:53:01

lol - the bumbo is a cross between the devil and a godsend, sometimes he loves it, often it seems to be the perfect place for him to throw back his head and REALLY let rip with a wail. I must confess I've not even tried beebies yet, although my sister refers to it as baby valium. wink

ninaandbean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:53:55

will report back when I find the door bouncer and post a pic!

moflee57 Mon 20-Dec-10 15:59:15

I'll look forward to that

cornonthecob Mon 20-Dec-10 17:10:21

At that age my ds loved sitting in the baby walker going everywhere, volume of the toy on tray table tad loud but gave me time to do other things! Open plan living oak floors so he loved it!

kmac80 Wed 29-Dec-10 13:14:34

I'm finding the exact same thing with my 4.5 month old baby boy. I'm exhausted. Naps are short during the day and I'm finding that I have to constantly entertain him, even though he was given a million toys for christmas. I too love my boy and special moments of play but I get bored too and need my own time....
So I'm with you on this one

polar515 Fri 31-Dec-10 15:17:39

I've got a 13 weeks old DS and have just discovered the joys of baby einstein. DS can sit in his bouncer chair for a whole episode - about 25 mins. I know yours is slightly older but maybe worth a try.

Have you tried just general noise. The hairdryer - on even if i'm not using it - works a treat sometimes for transfixing my DS and stopping grumbles.

Also, parking him under a ceiling light in his bouncer chair.. just a few thoughts..

I agree with others though, the constant entertainer mode can be exhausting...

Good luck smile

Greeninkmama Fri 31-Dec-10 16:17:10

My DCs loved sitting in one of those rubber-ring things at that age - meant they could sit up and play. May well be worth it with yours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: