Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Ranitidine for reflux, advice please

(9 Posts)
newmum001 Sun 19-Dec-10 18:20:46

Has anyone been prescribed Ranitidine for reflux? DD nearly 14 weeks was prescribed it on Friday and we started it on Saturday, she's taking it 3 times a day and infant gaviscon twice a day but we have noticed today that she's had a bit of diahorea today and been very windy. Have checked the side effects and it says this is one of them and the vomiting does seem to be less.

I suppose im just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, should i give it a couple of days and keep my eye on the diahorea situation?

any advice welcome, thanks

newmum001 Sun 19-Dec-10 19:43:19

bump

nickytwotimes Sun 19-Dec-10 19:45:04

ds2 was on it. no probs with bowels as a result of it, no. GIve it a few weeks to see any improvement.
hope it helps your lo.

sheba1 Sun 19-Dec-10 19:58:39

Infant gaviscon does terrible things to our son's (4 months) bowels. He went from going once or twice a day to 7+ with all farts having follow through. It definitely helped with reflux though. Could it be the gaviscon causing your problem?

newmum001 Sun 19-Dec-10 20:02:04

Sheba she's been on Gaviscon for about two months and usually only poo's once a day, it's since she went onto Ranitidine that she's had the runs. It could be a combination of both thats causing it i suppose.

ToysRLuv Sun 19-Dec-10 20:03:23

We had no problems with ranitidine.

sneakapeak Sun 19-Dec-10 21:13:13

A little secret ( I had 2 with severe reflux).

They start you on Gaviscon (much cheapness), then Ranitidine (slightly less cheapness) then you are moved to gold standard Omeprazole if you go back and tell them it hardly worked and annoy themwink.

Gaviscon is crap, Ranitidine is just above crap but Omeprazole (the most expensive one) is brilliant with no side effects.

If reflux is really bad they will prescribe both Domperidone and Omeprazole but the side effects of Domperidone isn't worth the risk IMHO.

Once she settles with her medication your life will get so much easier - I know how hard it is, good luck.

ToysRLuv Sun 19-Dec-10 21:21:12

For us ranitidine was not crap. It helped so much almost immediately. Gaviscon, however, was crap. I have never heard of anyone who has been significantly helped by it.

newmum001 Tue 21-Dec-10 10:39:17

Thanks everyone, Ranitidine really does seem to be giving her the runs, the Dr said to try it for 2 weeks but she's still very gulpy all the time. She seems ok in herself, still very smiley etc but she seems to be having trouble sleeping flat again today, i've had to prop her up this morning and we haven't had to do that for a while. I'll give it a few more days then maybe go back and annoy the doctor!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: