Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Baby Bjorn original or Connecta carrier?

(22 Posts)
Dozeyland Sat 18-Dec-10 23:30:14

Baby Bjorn original or Connecta carrier?

InmaculadaConcepcion Sun 19-Dec-10 08:47:50

Connecta, every time.

Check out the slings and backpacks section for loads of useful info about this issue....

Loopymumsy Sun 19-Dec-10 08:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 19-Dec-10 08:56:23

had a bjorn with dd1 and it was not comfy at all

don't know the connecta, but am using a wilkinet with dd2, as well as a kari-me sling.

MtnBikeChick Sun 19-Dec-10 09:18:08

I found the bjorn incredibly painful to wear. I use an ergo carrier now - they are so comfortable and you can use them until your child is much older!

BooBooGlass Sun 19-Dec-10 09:22:28

Babybjorns are just rubbish, but knowing no better I spent an obscene amount of money on one when I had dd and put up with the pain, assuming that all carriers felt liek that.
With ds I tried lots more. For a newborn, a stretchy wrap definately best. When they're a bit older, you can't go wrong with an Ergo. I didn't get on with the connecta at all, it just seems a bit small and flimsy

mousymouse Sun 19-Dec-10 09:25:29

anything but the babybjörn or any other cheapish carrier.
switched to an ergo when dd was 4 months and it was the best investment. dd is now a year old and I use the carrier every day, even went hiking in the peak district with it.
the pushchair is mainly used to carry the shopping

APixieInMyTea Sun 19-Dec-10 09:50:30

Stretchy wrap for newborn.

Mei tai or connecta for older.

I love my connecta, it makes back carries really easy.

ConcreteElephant Sun 19-Dec-10 11:16:38

Of those two, definitely the Connecta. I would avoid the Baby Bjorn completely as when I was researching slings and carriers I read that baby's position in a Baby Bjorn isn't very good, with all their weight resting on the crotch.

I plumped for a wilkinet originally which DD (now 11 months) has loved, particularly when she could face outwards. I have recently bought a Connecta, which she's very happy in. I'm happier because I was getting a bit fed up with all the wilkinet straps, particularly with them falling in the wet and snow at the moment. It's funny because we tried the Connecta at the sling library several months ago and she really hated it but recently I popped her in a friend's and she was happy as Larry - hence the investment. I also feel like the weight might be a bit better distributed in the Connecta, it's very easy to carry her in it.

Why not seek out your local sling library, or try Petit Poppet's loan facility and see what works for you?

InmaculadaConcepcion Sun 19-Dec-10 11:29:10

Agree that stretchy wraps are the best for newborns. My DD, now 10.5 months, still enjoys riding in hers (she is small for her age, so I can carry her on my front).

I have a Connecta for when she's heavier. It's good for easy back carries.

togarama Sun 19-Dec-10 11:42:49

Ditto pps - get a good quality, comfortable carrier. Don't get a BB. Connecta is well reviewed but there's plenty of others out there. The best one for you will depend on the size of your child and how much you intend to use it.

threefeethighandrising Sun 19-Dec-10 11:51:26

I don't know anything about the connecta, but i had the Baby Bjorn and I wouldn't recommend it. I used if for ages, then switched to an Ergo when the Baby Bjorn started hurting my shoulders, and the difference was amazing. Basically the Ergo is designed to distribute the weight and be comfortable and the Baby Bjorn isn't. Also someone pointed out to me that with the Baby Bjorn your baby's weight is basically being supported by their crotch, which can't be good for such a little body with new, growing bones. Much better to have the weight distributed.

The Ergo baby is brilliant, however I don't know what it's like with really little ones. You can get a newborn insert for it, but I've never used it so I can't say if it's good or not.

If I ever do it again I'll get a wrap around sling fr rwhen the baby's little. I tried my friend's out and it was just lovely. Really comfortable for you and lovely and snuggly for your baby.

HTH smile

ethelina Sun 19-Dec-10 11:57:58

My Boy loves being in the connecta he sleeps in it very well. He's 14 weeks old and we have used it for 4 weeks.

threefeethighandrising Sun 19-Dec-10 14:24:52

How do you use a connecta with a little one? Int he pictures they have their legs going out sideways, which you can't do with a little one.
The Ergo baby is the same, but you can get a newborn insert - how does it work with the connecta?

NurseGladys Sun 19-Dec-10 14:33:36

three Connectas can be folded over-as can Mei Teis to make more of a seat for Newborns, and they sit frog-legged inside the carier (legs in, not out)

InmaculadaConcepcion Sun 19-Dec-10 15:05:41

For loads more suggestions...

GMajor7SwansASwimming Sun 19-Dec-10 15:24:35

Connecta here too smile

threefeethighandrising The Connecta comes with an adjustment strap so that you can narrow the width at the crotch for smaller babies.

Some lovely designs too!

SkyBluePearl Sun 19-Dec-10 20:02:39

bjorn was painful for me (back pain) - no idea about the other sling tho.

ethelina Sun 19-Dec-10 20:28:56

Here is a gallery of Connecta wearers, a couple are newborn with the legs tucked in.

dikkertjedap Sun 19-Dec-10 21:09:41

we had a Babybjorn Active which was brilliant, did not like the normal Babybjorn though.

Limelight Sun 19-Dec-10 22:00:40

Normal babybjorn was the biggest waste of money ever. DS hated it, I ended up with really bad back pain. The only good thing it did was to earn a friend of mine £5 at her charity sale.

I've bought an ergo this time. Which I love!

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Mon 20-Dec-10 21:28:22

Connecta connecta connecta.

We love our Solarweave which has factor 50 sun protection and can be used in water (splashparks etc). Obviously at this time of year they need warm clothes in it!

We have a Close carrier too (stretchy fabric) which we used when DS was little (good for feeding in apparently although I never tried it) but it wasn't any good once he got a bit bigger.

And if you get the right fabric, the Connecta is much more manly looking than a wrap type sling, which means you can get your DH to do all the carrying once the DC get bigger. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: