Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How long did you have your LO in just babygrows?

(84 Posts)
HermyaTheRedNosedReindeer Sat 18-Dec-10 14:33:40

Hello,

I'm just wondering really, my DS is 7 weeks old and up till now he's just been wearing babygrows. I've popped him in little jeans once, but to be honest he just looks uncomfortable.

I asked a friend about it and she said she's had her DS in 'day clothes' since he was born.

So how long did your LO's stay in babygrows before you introduced so called day clothes?

cece Sat 18-Dec-10 14:34:22

by DC 3 I think about 5 or 6 months old...

MiasMARY Sat 18-Dec-10 14:35:45

For as long as possible

My Ds still wears babygrows a lot of the time and he's 2 in a couple of weeks.

It should be against the law for babies to wear jeans.

mjinsparklystockings Sat 18-Dec-10 14:36:25

Message withdrawn

Geepers Sat 18-Dec-10 14:36:51

Around 12 weeks

notcitrus Sat 18-Dec-10 14:37:20

A bit over 6 months, which was a lot longer than most of the first-time-mummy people I got to know at the time. I was a sentimental sod and couldn't take him looking so grown-up in a top and trousers!

Besides, he looked adorable in babygros.

malovitt Sat 18-Dec-10 14:38:17

Mine were in clothes straight away, nice soft ones though. I don't like babygrows out of the house.

arentfanny Sat 18-Dec-10 14:38:30

DD about 3 months and DS about 6 months.

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Sat 18-Dec-10 14:39:29

Still now as pjs, 17 (nearly 18) months.

angel1976 Sat 18-Dec-10 15:26:17

Till a year old and suddenly he seems too 'old' for them! Enjoy it while it lasts; the laundry is horrendous once they get into 'proper' clothes!

APixieInMyTea Sat 18-Dec-10 15:48:13

20month old still wears them for pj day's.

Out and about though he stopped wearing them at around 9months but only wore soft cotton trousers or dungaree's instead. Before 9months he had plain White one's for bed and bright colourful one's for daytime.

Ds2 is 13weeks and wears nothing but babygrows.

All proper clothes for ages 6months and under should be banned imo grin Until babies are crawling, there is no need for them to be in anything other than babygrows as they are the most comfortable.

Plus they look uber cute!

EauRudolph Sat 18-Dec-10 16:01:39

DC2 will be in babygrows for a lot longer than DD was! They are far more comfy and easier for nappy changes.

One of the mums at playgroup told me that dressing babies during the day helped them to learn that they should sleep at night and be awake during the day hmm How humans coped before the invention of pyjamas is a total mystery....

goingforit Sat 18-Dec-10 16:01:53

Admittedly over 16 years ago - but actually I'd be the same again - maybe to about the crawling stage.

Nan handknitted lovely cardigans to match plain babygro's. Remember having a lovely mint green one, lavender one, lemon one, and beige one before baby born so neutral gender. Teamed up with matching babygro looked so lovely and special because of exclusivity of hand made cardigans.

Babygro's are so practical. Don't really like adult clothes on new borns. Friend had newborn son in rugby top and jeans at a couple of days old,didn't notice baby had fingers and toes the clothes were so big.

LadyintheRadiator Sat 18-Dec-10 16:04:50

DS, maybe 6 months. DD is 9 weeks and I sometimes put her in dungarees or a knitted dress with tights but she will keep wearing babygrows in the daytime for a long while yet, some are too lovely to keep for bedtime

Montifer Sat 18-Dec-10 16:07:14

As long as possible, they are cosy and practical and there'll be many years of real clothes to come.

DS1 went into clothes at around crawling stage when he started to look like SweetPea in a babygrow

Make the most of the baby days and stick to babygrows I say grin

Nagoo Sat 18-Dec-10 16:07:59

I tried to put dd in clothes, but it made me irrationaly upset and furious. Hi like the clothes, but not on her, she's so tiny. It's just wrong.

Ds was in babygrows until about 6 months, looking at photos.

otchayaniye Sat 18-Dec-10 17:55:14

I don't know what babygrows are? Are they all in ones?

DD born in tropics so wore very little when tiny.

WelshMaenad Sat 18-Dec-10 18:16:54

DS is 8 months and frequently goes out in a babygro. My sister bought him some freaking adorable Paul Frank ones in America.

I loathe denim on tiny babies. Loathe it. I still don't like it on him now, we have a lot of handed-down clothes and I tried some jeans on him and had to take themoff again because they just. looked. wrong.

maxpower Sat 18-Dec-10 18:24:53

I had DD in day clothes pretty much straight away but avoided denim like the plague. She was a summer baby though which meant there were lots of nice cotton dungaree type things around.

Porcelain Sat 18-Dec-10 18:39:42

Mine is 4 months and still in babygros most of the time.
Trousers and t shirts and the like are always riding up/down and nappy changes with trousers are a pita. I experimented with dungarees in his last size, but they always looked a bit bunched up and uncomfy, so now he only wears the soft high necked type as his "posh" clothes, it also means he needs socks or baggies, and he's always throwing them off and getting cold feet. Going out at this time of year he's usually got a snowsuit over a babygro, no point in putting proper clothes under a snowsuit.

I think he would rather be warm and comfy than fashionable, and that's good enough for me.

Porcelain Sat 18-Dec-10 18:41:08

I also think funky, stripy babygros are the cutest thing in the world.

lenak Sat 18-Dec-10 18:46:39

I put dd in clothes during the day - she did use to wear jeans and dungarees but when she was very little I used to buy baby PJ's - so she was in babygrows at night and trousers and a top in the day.

I like the routine of getting her washed and dressed in the mornings. I think it helps them to distinguish night and day and makes them better sleepers.

Poppet45 Sat 18-Dec-10 18:48:48

Babies are now too old for babygrows? Christ how depressing. DS 16 months still wears some as pjs and occasionally as an extra layer under grown up clothes but he regularly wore them - or the footless rompers - til he was 8 or 9 months old. Babies look gorgeous in bright colourful babygrows and rompers. And agree about disliking tiny babies in jeans. Ick.

zafrostypee Sat 18-Dec-10 20:59:14

about 3 weeks for daytime, 3-4m for nights.

All my children have long torsos compared to their limbs. DD (DC3) is 9 weeks old and in a 6-12m babygrow tonight. She fills it completely from neck to nappy, but the arms and legs are flip-flapping by themselves. And it's wide enough for two of her. Some kids are just not built for babygrows.

NotNowBernardImStuffingTheBird Sat 18-Dec-10 21:03:02

I might let him choose his own outfit for his 18th

Until then it's babygos all the way

(Last baby - sob)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: