Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Does Father Christmas exist?

(12 Posts)
prettyone Sat 18-Dec-10 00:10:10

I am having problems with this one, I have always encouraged my children to tell the truth, but have lied to them about this man that delivers gifts on xmas eve. My kids believe in him, and now they have started asking, "Is he real?" Any suggestions!!!

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Sat 18-Dec-10 00:13:34

Of course he exists. Sheesh.

bobs Sat 18-Dec-10 00:15:50

I always told my kids that he exists for those who believe in him...and wouldn'r elaborate wink - I hate lying too!

mrsfollowill Sat 18-Dec-10 00:39:19

mmmm - it's a tough one- my DS is 8 - he asked me outright last week- i'm afraid I bottled it and said 'well if you don't believe he comes will you get any presents?" and he immediately decided he did still believe! But- he has voiced the same concerns to both grandmothers!
in fact he has said to them santa is not real beacuase he could not possibly get around the world in the time allowed. (He's v hot on Geography) - It's a bit sad though sad

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Sat 18-Dec-10 00:49:14

Mrsfollowill never mind Geography what about quantum physics? Wormholes, time travel, parallel universes etc. He has access to technology such as we can only dream of.
(Or something along those lines)

MissMiniEggs Sat 18-Dec-10 07:43:43

yes he exists in our house too but mummy & daddy get most of the pressies and santa brings a few. That way the santa thing isnt too big. When they ask if hes real we will tell the truth.

Mummynumber2 Sat 18-Dec-10 08:00:15

I tend to say the same as when they ask if god exists. Something along the lines of 'well, lots of people believe he's real but it's up to everyone to decide what they believe for themselves'.

onimolap Sat 18-Dec-10 08:08:30

Useful idea, for the child who is beginning to suspect, I picked up from a book:

"Father Christmas can only come to those who believe in him. If children stop believing in him, their parents usually take over, so no-one's too disappointed".

bacon Sat 18-Dec-10 08:54:45

Its such a wonderful time of their life - why spoil it?

Lying - sometimes in life its necessary, its not a horrible nasty lie is it?

I have such wonderful memories!

togarama Sat 18-Dec-10 08:54:56

My parents never pretended and I don't feel we missed out. I think we'll put presents in a stocking for DD (nearly 2) but will neither confirm nor deny the involvement of a fat old man in a red suit.

zafrostypee Sat 18-Dec-10 09:21:10

when my DS1 asked if he was real, I said "what do you think?" with a twinkle in my eye. He didn't answer but I expect that at 5, he knows.

ninjinglebells Sat 18-Dec-10 09:28:32

DD1 asked me yesterday and told me she wanted the truth sad. I'm not a big believer in lying and I just avoided it (you're always awake after me on Christmas eve do you REALLY think I bring your stocking and you know dad always falls asleep on the sofa ......)

I think that she knows but doesn't really want to ....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: