Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Did a dummy affect your dc speech?

(17 Posts)
Fatelf Thu 16-Dec-10 22:25:40

Dc is 25 months should he be pulling words & sentences together by now? Getting a lot of screeching lately mostly to get what he wants but can't say? Is the dummy affecting him speaking? If your dc had a dummy please share! Thanks

WanderingInAWinterWonderland Thu 16-Dec-10 22:37:47

I think that it probably depends how often they have it, TBH. My DD had a dummy and her speech was always good but by 12 months she was only having it at nap times and night. IME, if they have it all the time they don't bother to talk as much, just grunt as they are sucking their dummy.

I used to CM a little boy who sucked his thumb all the time and at 27 months he hardly said a word. I used to CM another little boy (who had a dummy but didn't use it often) who was saying lots more at 20 months than the other little boy, who was older.

WanderingInAWinterWonderland Thu 16-Dec-10 22:41:57

I forgot to add that I think a 25 month old should be putting together simple sentences of 2 or 3 words. Eg "what's that?"

Haribojoe Thu 16-Dec-10 22:45:20

DS 1 & 2 have both had dummies, they weren't allowed them when out of the house but could have them as much as they wanted at home. Have not had any speech problems with either of them (now 5yrs and 3yrs).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 16-Dec-10 22:47:35

DS1 never wanted/had a dummy, and can't say "th" properly. (He can if he really concentrates, but mostly can't be arsed.)

DS2 lived with a million dummies at all times till he was about 3yo and speaks perfectly.

They are now 24 and 20 years old, so certainly no long-term damage for them.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 17-Dec-10 07:23:47

DD had a dummy, she doesn't stop talking. I have to say, she could speak around the dummy in her gob, twas like she was rolling a ciggy round her little mouth.

doittomorrow Fri 17-Dec-10 09:38:36

DS1 had a dummy A LOT including during the day and was talking in sentences from 18 months. He is now 3.10, dropped the dummy during the day at about 3 and completely a month or so ago. He speaks clearly and has a pretty wide vocab. DS2 2.3 has only ever had a dummy for sleep and is talking very little. Am waiting for a SALT appt for him. Its difficult isn't it, I know that if he had been using a dummy through the day I would probably blame that for his lack of speech but he hasn't so confused

stirlingstar Fri 17-Dec-10 09:48:37

I'm having similar concerns - DS2 is 23 months and a dummy addict. I think he's a little behind DS1 (no dummy, but a thumb-sucker) at that age, but his speech is definitely coming on. He has recently started to use 2-3 word sentences.

I would observe that he speaks LESS when he's got the dummy, but if you manage to extract the dummy his speech is reasonably clear (for his age). Also, he is getting more willing to put the dummy down for a while in order to talk, now that he is able to actually say a bit. So I can see the possible beginning of a virtuous circle.

I'm ALWAYS asking him to 'take your dummy out so I can hear your words' (in a positive way), and he obliges more & more often - even if he then pops it back in again. Do you try that kind of thing?

He's also had a rough & prolonged time with teething and uses the dummy to chew on when a tooth is cutting. Have noticed he's much happier to lose the dummy when there is no tooth emerging. Only 1-2 more teeth to come now, so hope that will also help.

perfectstorm Fri 17-Dec-10 09:50:43

DS is 25 months and has a dummy almost all the time - he loves it and life is short, infancy long. His speech is excellent.

SkyBluePearl Fri 17-Dec-10 12:06:56

One child i know i completely silent when using a dummy but can say a few words without the dummy.

naturalbaby Fri 17-Dec-10 14:36:11

nope, but i only let him have it for sleep times. i talk to him all the time, we do loads of singing, so he's a real chatterbox.

knackered76 Fri 17-Dec-10 17:46:32

Neither of mine have taken dummies, not for want of me trying! My dd sucks her thumb and her speech is fine, my ds sucks his fingers and he is now having speech therapy as he 'backs' a lot of his sounds eg. 't' sounds like 'c' (he's just turned 4). I think as others have said, just encourage them to talk without it in their mouths. I don't think it's a dummy issue, just a having something in your mouth when talking one!

moajab Fri 17-Dec-10 22:35:21

DS1 had a dummy, but spoke early (at about 11 months for first word) and was speaking in sentences by his second birthday. Now aged 9 he still doesn't stop talking!
DS2 refused a dummy. He didn't have any words until 19 months but then loads came in at once. He was also speaking quite well by age of 2 and now aged 6 is a very confident articulate speaker.
DS3 refused a dummy. he will be 2 next month and has only a few recognisable words and endless streams of very entertaining made up words.
All three have developed language very differently in their early years and whether or not they have had a dummy does not seem to have been relevant as far as I can tell.

SkyBluePearl Sun 19-Dec-10 20:07:26

My thumb sucker (almost always in mouth) managed 3 word sentences on his second birthday.

My thumb free/dummy free toddler managed 10 word sentences on his second birthday and has a much wider vocab.

CarGirl Sun 19-Dec-10 20:11:08

My dummy addict starting talking at 9 months, and 12 word perfect and clear sentence at 18 months old shock

My other dc were "normal" and 2 of them had speech delay (one severe) both linked to hearing issues not thumb or dummy sucking!

lovechoc Sun 19-Dec-10 20:13:01

DS1 had a dummy til he was around 2.5yo and then just decided to put it in the bin and he never asked for one again after that. No speech problems with him, infact his speech is above average for his age (so I've been told). He had it alot between 4 months and 18 months but after that he only had it for naps and night time. I did not like him having the dummy in during the day, but if he was unsettled then he wanted it.

DS2 on the other hand will not entertain the idea of a dummy

Such different babies...

willowthecat Tue 21-Dec-10 10:26:55

Words and short phrases are what is expected at 25 months - sentences by around 3 years. A dummy should not (normally!) stop verbal language developing

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: