Talk

Advanced search

Dont know how to talk to my 3 year old?

(4 Posts)
hariboegg Thu 16-Dec-10 14:11:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janek Thu 16-Dec-10 14:44:53

just talk to him. he won't understand everything you say anyway, but he will understand a lot. don't underestimate him though.

something i do if i think i've said something in a slightly complicated way (and i do this quite a lot, eg dd1 often comments that dd2 has her own agenda, she got that from me...) i then repeat it in simpler language

eg i might say "why don't you increase the volume? why don't you make it louder?", then i've said it in the way i want and then in a way she will definitely understand and i've increased her passive vocubulary into the bargain.

i'm sure you are doing fine. it is hard not to feel paranoid sometimes, but as long as you talk to him and make sure you answer his questions in a way that he will understand you will be fine.

SweetKate Fri 17-Dec-10 13:47:59

Sorry Janek, but I think that he will understand pretty much everything at age 3.
My DD is 19 mo and understands all we say to her. Her frustration is her speech is limited and she can't get us to understand what she wants. But if I ask my 5 yo DS to go and get something, she will do it instead.

I would say, just chat as you would normally. If nothing else, it will increase his vocabulary! Some of the words my DS comes out with never fail to amaze me. Apparently his teacher was incandescent with rage yesterday. I can't believe that she was that angry - was more impressed with the words!!

hariboegg - I'm sure you're doing a fab job!

BlueberryPancake Fri 17-Dec-10 13:55:16

The best think I found is just to do something together. Bake a cake, do playdoh, have a bath together! Show him how to make his bed and make the bed together. Do cutting and glueing. I find it much easier to speak to DS when we actually do something specific together.

DS has a severe speech delay and he doesn't speak to us very much at all, he is very very quiet so I found it hard to actually speak to him as he looked as if he wasn't paying any attention. But doing something together (he loves baking fairy cakes and decorating htem) really encourages me to speak to him, and he does answer back quite well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now