Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

8 week old with horrible cold and cough - advice needed!

(21 Posts)
Honeybee79 Sat 11-Dec-10 09:53:45

Hi there

DS is 8 weeks and for the last 24 hours has had a really heavy cold and a snuffly cough. He is still feeding OK (though a bit slower than normal) and is producing plenty of wet and dirty nappies. But he's clearly having a miserable time - as are we because he can't sleep properly. He normally sleeps for 8 or 9 hours straight at night but last night was waking and crying every 20 mins or so. I have just managed to settle him now after about an hour of crying. He never usually cries unless he's hungry or over tired.

Is there anything that I could safely give him to ease his (and our!) pain? Or is it a case of just waiting? Any advice appreciated!

BookcaseFullofBooks Sat 11-Dec-10 10:05:15

Our little one had a nasty cold at about the same. We used steam and some olbas oil for children. The best way we found was to put her in the bathroom with the shower running. It also helped to raise the head of the bed a little.
Hope he feels better soon x

snownutty Sat 11-Dec-10 10:07:50

Can you try a few Carvol drops on a tissue and place it near him while he's sleeping. The menthol smell helps them to breathe.

You could also try raising his head a little by putting something like a folded blanket under his mattress, or if he's in with you under the fitted sheet, should help a little but can make them slide down.

Don't think there's anything you can give him medicine wise but maybe someone else will suggest something.

Get well soon baby!

Honeybee79 Sat 11-Dec-10 10:14:42

Thanks! Yes, he seems better when he's upright so I'll try putting a blanket under his head. Will try the steam too.

Calpol website also seems to have something suitable from birth (a nasal spray) and something suitable from 2 months.

Poor baby - so nasty seeing him like this!

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Sat 11-Dec-10 10:16:21

You can also use saline nasal drops, makes them scream but it works

I think calpol is ok from 1 month? But don't quote me on that

Couple of books under one end of the cot (head end!)

lots of fluids, but you sound ok on that front

They get better quickly, hang on in there....

lukewarmcupofmulledwine Sat 11-Dec-10 10:17:21

And a nose squidger thing to pull the snot out, in conjunction with the nose drops

edam Sat 11-Dec-10 10:19:56

Buy a humidifier - Argos or any homeware store. We were told to buy one when ds was little and it was the best advice ever.

Eventually it broke. Ds was a toddler by this stage I had completely forgotten how awful a sleepless miserable child full of cold is. Sent dh out to buy another as soon as the shops opened in the morning!

TheUnmentioned Sat 11-Dec-10 10:21:35

calpol only ok from 2month for immunisations unless on advice of a doc.

get saline drops - make sure you get ones which contain sterile water.

is there any fever?

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 11-Dec-10 10:22:23

A dab of Vaseline on the end of the nose will help to stop the skin cracking and causing more discomfort.

Niecie Sat 11-Dec-10 10:23:23

I was going to recommed the saline drops too - DS2 had them when he was about the same age. You can get them from the pharmacist with advice on how to do it. It is fiddly!!

Check whether you can use Olbas Oil, even the children's one on babies as young as 8 weeks though. I thought 3 or 6 months was the minimum age. It is quite potent stuff.

Other than that it is rest, warmth and fluids. Mine used to sleep propped up in my arms when tiny. Utterly miserable and exhausting for the parents but it seems to help them sleep a little bit longer.

Hope he feels better soon.

Honeybee79 Sat 11-Dec-10 11:06:37

Thanks. Currently can't get him to sleep longer than 20 mins at a time. Going to try him in his chair shortly and then off to the chemist for some advice and purchases.

Unmentioned - I don't think he has a fever but need to buy a thermometer today too.

Calpol website says OK from 2 months as long as over 4kg and not premature but will check advice with pharmacist.

OnEdge Sat 11-Dec-10 11:14:21

Lots of cuddles. I used breast milk up the nose and it worked really well, I just trickled it in very slowly when she was sleeping and it was less traumatic for her.

ThisIsYourSong Sat 11-Dec-10 13:03:01

I second the humidifier.

We had one for a while and thought it helped, but it wasn't until I had a cold myself that I realised how great it is! You don't need a fancy one, we just bought a cheapy from Argos (which has lots of great reviews) and its been brilliant. Just put a towel down as it makes the carpet/floor damp.

Honeybee79 Sat 11-Dec-10 13:17:40

Thanks - had not even thought of a humidifier before but it makes sense. I will see how tonight goes and get to Argos tomorrow is necessary!

Tryharder Sat 11-Dec-10 21:44:43

Read this thread with interest as my 4 month old DD is suffering dreadfully with cold/cough. Am going to Argos tomorrow to buy a humidifier....

AllSheepareWhite Sat 11-Dec-10 21:52:21

Calpol, karvol and vapour rub all for 3 months and over. Steam works well, saline drops followed by sucking out mucus (you can use a bulb nasal aspirator or do it yourself very gently in short bursts). Raise the mattress by putting a pillow/blankets underneath it. You can put a damp towel on the radiator to increase humidity.

APixieInMyTea Sat 11-Dec-10 22:00:18

I would recommend the saline spray. The drops are a pain in the ass to get up a wriggling little baby's nose. The spray is much easier. Followed by a "snot sucker"

Also there is a baby vicks thing called snuffle babe (from boots I think) that you can rub on the chest of his vest to help him breath better.

We are just getting over this with our 12 week old!

TheUnmentioned Sun 12-Dec-10 13:44:22

i think the spray might not be sterile though?

APixieInMyTea Sun 12-Dec-10 16:59:28

Why wouldn't it be sterile if it's for babies aged from birth?

I use the one by calpol.

(genuine question btw, not too clued up on these things)

IAmReallyFabNow Sun 12-Dec-10 17:02:22

Don't put a blanket under is head. Put books under the cot legs instead.

IAmReallyFabNow Sun 12-Dec-10 17:04:02

is his

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: