Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

newborns and oral antibiotics

(10 Posts)
partyhats Fri 10-Dec-10 19:20:45

I have a 2 week old ds who has had sticky eye since he was born. Over the last few days he has developed a pimply rash on his face, mainly on the bridge of his nose and on the parts of his cheeks close to his eyes and nose. I have just taken him to the doctor who said that both problems were related and that a blocked tear duct was casuing the spots on his face.
He has been given antibiotics 2.5ml of flucoxacillin 3 times a day.
I am obviously worried about giving antibiotics to one so young. Does anyone have any experience of this condition or giving antibiotics to babies? I would be v grateful if someone could get back to me.

sneakapeak Fri 10-Dec-10 19:32:50

My DS was given this in hospital at 5 days old shock. I used it thinking nothing of it.

I later googled it and it does have some scary possible side effects.

That aside, my DD had a few sticky eyes and ive since learned that breast milk dropped into the eyes a few times a day is more effective - it's so true. With DS, it took over a week to clear, with DD it took 2 days both times she had it.

If your not breast feeding then cooled boiled water and rock/sea salt is great. Use sterile cotton wool, wipe from inner corner to outer then bin, always use a clean one once then get a new peice IYSWIM.

partyhats Fri 10-Dec-10 20:00:59

Thanks Sneakapeak, did you ds get diarrhoea with the antibiotics? I tried the breastmilk but it has'nt worked. Have been using cooled boiled water. Has anyone had a baby who got a spotty rash on their face because of the eye infection.

BarbarianMum Fri 10-Dec-10 20:29:28

Ds2 was on daily low dosages of antibiotics from 6 weeks to 6 months due to suspected kidney reflux. It is common to give them for this condition, I guess case the dangers of UTI and associated kidney damage are considered greater than the risk of side effects. Certainly ds2 was fine on them.

What would happen if you didn't give them? I probably wouldn't just for a few spots but an ongoing eye infection would concern me.

sneakapeak Sat 11-Dec-10 09:47:24

I wouldn't stop antibiotics for something more serious. My 2 were born whilst I was being pumped full of antibiotics due to Group B and they were both on reflux meds for a year.

This is a sticky eye. It will go with salt water or breast milk you just have to keep doing it im afraid but when my DS had it and I used antibiotic drops it still took nearly 2 weeks and I had to do that loads too.
I know what it's like though, your lovely new baby and his poor eyes will be all glued shut and gunky and you will be desperate for it to clear.

I don't know if he had a spotty rash because of the eye infection but he did get spotty in his early weeks as did my DD. His was a mixture of pink spots and white bumps. DD was really spotty and blotchy for ages.

I don't know how bad these spots are but new babies are prone to breakouts as their skin aclimatises to the atmosphere around them.

The diarrhoea is caused by the antibiotics killing off good bacteria with the bad.
It will correct itself in time with your breastmilk though.

sneakapeak Sat 11-Dec-10 09:50:22

Oh - if it is indeed diarrhoea?

If it's because he has explosive packed yellow nappies that leak and you have to change his vest/clothes because it's everywhere - that's normal new baby poo grin.

It calms with time too.

partyhats Sat 11-Dec-10 13:22:21

Thanks again sneakapeak. I am just wondering why the doctor gave him oral antibiotics and not drops. The rash is indeed a mixture of white bumps and pink spots. I have given him 2 does of the antibiotics so far, his tummy seems a little unsettled but he has not had diarrhoea yet.
Is there anything I can use on the rash? or am I better leaving it alone?
I am continuing to clean his eye with the cooled boiled water, unfortunately am no longer bfing as have dveloped a v nasty case of mastitis, little one was unable to feed and starving so had to change to formula. I had supply issues to begin with anyway and the milk has dried up already.

LiegeAndLief Sat 11-Dec-10 15:25:46

Dd had white bump/pink spot rash across the bridge of her nose and cheeks when she was about the same age, the hv said it was just milk spots, nothing to worry about, just leave them alone and they would go. They did (think after about a month). Maybe a second opinion would be a good idea?

ThisIsYourSong Sat 11-Dec-10 15:57:56

DT1 had an eye infection around 8 weeks. If it is an infection rather than sticky eye it will need antibiotics (I think sticky eye responds to BM). He had antibiotic drops and cream and it got worse before it got better (as we were warned). It might be that these drops and cream aren't suitable for such a young baby - in any case they're rather hard to administer!

partyhats Sun 12-Dec-10 11:03:49

Went back to see a different doctor last night as ds got diarrhoea. Doc was surprised that ds had been given the antibiotics, told me to stop and gave him drops for his eye instead. She also said that the rash seemed to just be a newborn rash, nothing serious Bloody doctors! I am quite annoyed by the fact the first one just handed out a prescription for antibiotics so casually for a 14 day old!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: