Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What weight duvet tog for 3 yo?

(9 Posts)
puthekettleon Wed 08-Dec-10 23:17:07

DD woke at 3 in morning because she was cold. Think I need to buy her a winter duvet but don't want her to over heat.

mrsfollowill Wed 08-Dec-10 23:35:13

I'm no expert but once my LO was 3 and sleeping in a bed I figured he needed the same tog duvet we did. He has a 4 tog in summer (replaced by a sheet only in v hot weather)and a 10.5 in autumn/winter. he also has a cotton sheet year round to pull over his head! smile because that's what he likes.
I live in NE England and we have had several nights of - 10c. We don't have the heating once he's gone to bed (generally) but due to the extreme cold (plus his bed is up against an exterior wall) I've left it on low until midnight - I have been throwing a fleece blanket on top of him before I get in bed and the heating comes back on full blast at 5.30 am. I guess what I'm trying to say it that at 3 yo he will wriggle out of the covers if too hot and snuggle down if too cold - not like a baby who is helpless and liable to overheating.

SantarissaCripslock Wed 08-Dec-10 23:47:56

I have a 7.5 tog duvet for my 3 year old - plus plenty of blankets if it's very cold. I'd rather a not too heavy duvet and the extra blankets so he can pull or push off the blankets as it suits him.

He's an odd ball though as he keeps telling me he likes to be cold and insists on sleeping with a fan on even though it's been -15 here! grin

apple99 Thu 09-Dec-10 07:45:10

Dd has a 10 tog duvet and when I go up to bed I put on a large cellular (sp) blanket. heating is on until 10pmish but turned low in the bedrooms.

Seona1973 Thu 09-Dec-10 08:16:26

it depends on what sort of bed he is in. A cot bed/toddler bed should have a maximum tog of 4.5 whereas a full sized single can have up to a 10.5tog duvet on it. (something to do with the surface area covered by the child). Both my kids are in single beds and currently have 10.5tog duvets - they also take a hot water bottle to bed with them at the moment. (are in Scotland so very snowy and icy just now)

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Thu 09-Dec-10 08:19:39

gecko has a 10.5 tog, just like ours and a peppa pig blanket under it too (just cause she neeeeds her bankie apparently grin)

but our house is draughty and cold and its been minus 18 overnight for the lasr few nights

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Thu 09-Dec-10 08:20:32

and she has jammies on too

in the summer she never wears anything to bed, well not even summer just warmner than zero lol

sparkle1977 Thu 09-Dec-10 11:57:39

My DS's (2 and 4) both have 4 tog duvets and sleep in cot/junior size beds at the moment. They also both sleep in long sleeve / long leg pyjamas. Also we have the heating on constantly in our house so its always fairly warm.

wannabeglam Thu 09-Dec-10 19:24:59

Mine had a summer duvet and blankets on top because they're easier to wash in washing machine when the bed is wet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: