Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

How to find a creche, if that's even what I want?

(7 Posts)
polly123 Sun 05-Dec-10 15:17:36

Hi, not sure this is the right place to post or not... so apologies if not quite the right place.

I would like some child free time... I expect you know what I mean. It would just be nice to be able to go to the hairdressers, do some shopping, without taking DD (14 months old) with me.

Any ideas on how you go about finding a Creche or some other form of childcare for just a couple of hours every now and again?

littleducks Sun 05-Dec-10 15:21:42

Contact your local FIS, local leisure centre often have them (though they are fasy disapearing due to council budget cuts) I knew of one surestart centre with one

Firawla Sun 05-Dec-10 15:42:26

whereabouts are you? maybe someone here will know. sometimes you can find paid ones run in the same places that sometimes do stay and play (eg round here one estate has a good stay and play and in some mornings/afternoon its a 2 hr creche for £5) otherwise as littleducks said the council may have it, if you go to surestart ask the people who work there for details they can show you where to go

nannynick Sun 05-Dec-10 16:11:27

Ascot Berkshire. There are leisure centres in neighbouring towns (Bracknell, Windsor, Egham) but that will mean going for a 8 to 12 mile round trip (Bracknell is closest), to drop off at the creche to then be able to do things close to home.

Would childminders take a child for just a couple of hours, on an occasional basis? Wonder if it's worth getting a list of local childminders and asking if that's a possibility.

nannynick Sun 05-Dec-10 16:14:10

That's the sort of thing around my area. Some towns just don't have anything suitable.

Where are you located?

polly123 Sun 05-Dec-10 16:35:04

Yes, I'm near you nannynick - think you helped me out a couple of years back when I used to be a nanny.

Now living in Bagshot... so I've looked at the leisure centres but they are quite a long way away. Can't find anything in the village, or in other villages.

Will ask Surrey FIS, see if they know of any
creches and ask them about childminders at the same time.

Firawla £5 for 2 hours sounds like a bargain to me. A creche in Camberley wants £5.50 an hour, unless I become a member, then it's a little lower. Given Camberley is a 15 minute drive away, not ideal... though could park at the leisure centre, drop at the creche and walk into town centre.

MissusScrooge Sun 05-Dec-10 16:44:31

here in london our local leisure centre creche requires you to stay within their facilities when the child is in the creche.

childminder, nanny or nursery might be a better option for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now