Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Please help me with pre-school Christmas etiquette

(7 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sat 04-Dec-10 00:14:41

DD is 2 and has been at pre-school for about a month (two mornings a week).

A red plastic postbox has appeared in the cloakroom. Are we supposed to send cards to all the other children? I don't know most of their names, could write them down from the coat hooks but not all of them will go on the same day as DD so that might be a bit weird. Or we could just send them to the half dozen kids whose names I know. Or just reply to any she gets? Help!

Do we get presents for all the staff? Just her keyworker? A big box of biscuits for them all to share (I suspect they will be swimming in biscuits this time of year)?

This is all new to me. It's a minefield I tell you, a minefield!

purepurple Sat 04-Dec-10 08:29:15

You could ask the staff for a christmas card list. I have just made 26 individual lists as the children do not all attend the same sessions.
As for pressies, a small individual one for each staff member would be lovely. Although each child has a key person, every member of staff will be involved in caring for your DD. Doesn't have to be expensive, but it is nice to be appreciated.

onimolap Sat 04-Dec-10 08:47:26

Ask the management about gifts; my DCs went to a nursery where gifts were pooled then divided amongst staff - meant everyone got things, and could maximize chances of taking home the things they liked best ( you may know nursery staff well, but are less likely to know if they hate a particular scent, or have a highly allergic person at home).

I did cards just for the children we knew best - I don't think there's a standard practice for tinies.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-Dec-10 11:35:08

For pre-school at xmas I did flowers to the leader and a magazine subscription for the year that got delivered so that they could have something to read on breaks and it could be shared.

Cards, I think we just did a few of the names I remembered.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 04-Dec-10 11:36:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sasha02 Sat 04-Dec-10 11:45:12

I asked for a list for the christmas cards and I went through the list with DS as to who he wanted to send cards too, talk about an eye opener!! However, last year when DS was just 3 and we had just started I didn't send cards as he didn't know any of the other children and didn't even really interact with them.

I do just take a large box of chocolates for all the ladies and a little extra pressie for his keyworker.

DitaVonCheese Mon 06-Dec-10 21:18:33

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: