Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

has any of your toddlers cried on nativity play stage

(10 Posts)
bumbly Fri 03-Dec-10 22:09:16

how can i cheer up a now very sad three year old who has had a lot of confidence dented

bigchris Fri 03-Dec-10 22:10:36

Oh yes
it is dauting for the littlies
and they can see their mums but can't go and sit with them
don't worry, your lo will have forgotten in the morning

Guitargirl Fri 03-Dec-10 22:13:18

Not yet but DD has hers on Thursday and am dreading it as it's the kind of thing she would normally hate: lots of people, something out of the ordinary. I just know she's going to have a meltdown...sad

bumbly Fri 03-Dec-10 22:15:49

sorry meant to sya mine been crying at the rehersals and not yet the one show and i know will cry then too

bumbly Fri 03-Dec-10 22:16:39

mine is the one eveyrone been talking about a sonly one crying and apparently other toddlers all know about the crying one

feel so helpless and horrible and sad and worried for him

scouserabroad Fri 03-Dec-10 22:27:54

Does he have to do the show? If he really doesn't want to maybe it's best if he could sit it out, then try again next year?

Alternatively, could he be given a choice to do the show or not, to take the pressure off. As in, you do this rehersal with all your friends and see if you enjoy it, and if you don't like it you won't have to do it again. Then he might see it's not that bad. This approach works with my DD1, who tends be nervous of new experiences but is fine once she's started.

Onetoomanycornettos Sat 04-Dec-10 14:48:29

Not make a big deal of it!I would buy a treat, praise them for the thing they did do (wear nice costume, go on stage), but hogging the limelight isn't for every toddler, and I personally think it's a bit much to expect them to cope. One girl of about six burst into tears in the last school performance, the teacher gave her a hug and it was not an issue. play it down, i'm sure everyone isn't talking about it, and if they are, it must be quite dull round your way! He can have a go next year when it's more age appropriate.

Allegrogirl Sat 04-Dec-10 15:26:30

My DD is 3.1 and walked off stage to me looking very sad in her angel costume this morning. There were others blubbing their eyes out as well.

I did feel sad that she wasn't joining in the fun but there's no point forcing it. If she doesn't show any interest I'm not bothering next year is it is really upsetting for me and DH seeing our formerly confident child so unhappy.

A slap up meal in Pizza Hut took our minds off it. Hoping it's one of those 'just a phase' things.

bumbly Sun 05-Dec-10 17:17:11

thanks for all your support

i just think the stage not for him and not sure what will happen next week

SunCream32 Sun 05-Dec-10 20:59:30

My dd cried last year in the nativity play (her first and only one so far!), she was 3.5 years. She's very sensitive and doesn't like a big audience and I wouldn't like her to feel like she had to do it again before she's ready. I second what scouserabroad says, giving your little one a choice and go from there. Good luck, it's heartbreaking seeing them upset, I know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: