Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Newborn with a tummy upset?

(8 Posts)
Samraves Fri 03-Dec-10 06:24:52

Hi there,

I am doing the typical new mum thing, don't know whether to be worried or not...

Night before last dd did two really bad watery nappies within a three hours and seemed to be really uncomfortable wriggling around in pain and lifting her knees up. No temp though and feeding fine, just crying a lot and needed to be held all night. About to take her to dr, but then no more bad nappies and although won't settle easy that isn't uncommon.

Last night seemed so much better and we got some sleep :-) but this morning after much grunting, shifting and moaning, she has done another watery bad nappy. But she now seems fine, is scoffing away and fairly happy! Should I be calling the dr? nonsigns of dehydration, she is weeing loads...

And I can't believe I am posting about pop!

Any advice?

Sam x

nonanny Fri 03-Dec-10 08:59:06

Hi

As your baby is a newborn I would see the dr. They may want a sample..but not being dehydrated is good. However if a lots going out as well as in its best to get dr check for signs of dehdration. Then if things get worse you've been already and they can assess any deterioration. As new mum and newborn I would get it checked out.

Or have you just changed the milk? added formula or added any other fluids?

Samraves Fri 03-Dec-10 09:04:07

I am breastfeeding, so no changes and I haven't eaten anything unusual... I am just feeling a bit hyperchondriacl right now as far as dr's concerned because she is only two weeks old and I already took her once to check whether she had asthma or whether I should be worried about her breathing... All was fine! :-s and my dh thinks so long as she is feeding fine and no temp etc we shouldn't worry! Hmmm

Samraves Fri 03-Dec-10 09:06:26

I am breastfeeding, so no changes and I haven't eaten anything unusual... I am just feeling a bit hyperchondriacl right now as far as dr's concerned because she is only two weeks old and I already took her once to check whether she had asthma or whether I should be worried about her breathing... All was fine! :-s and my dh thinks so long as she is feeding fine and no temp etc we shouldn't worry! Hmmm

WhyIsThatThenWithJingleBells Fri 03-Dec-10 09:07:22

I bf DD for 14 months and until she was taking more solid that boob her poo was watery all the time and a yellowy/mustard like colour. I think she is probably fine but if you feel worried then take her to the gp. Mum knows best wink

How old is she?

nonanny Fri 03-Dec-10 09:08:06

What about the regular baby clinic then rather than dr as this might dispel any worries. But 2 weeks old it sounds pretty normal for breastfeeding for poos to be watery after the meconium stage has gone. Or you can ring midwife is only 2 weeks. Also if she had been feeding lots with a growth spurt they do poo at lot more. I would start to write down the pattern if you feel concerned but at 2 weeks it sounds normal. Lots of poo at night still then....

Rindercella Fri 03-Dec-10 09:12:30

Your DH is doubtless right but take her to the the GP just to reassure yourself.

Is she feeding more than usual? I remember when DD2 was a week or two old she fed then pooed, fed then pooed through the night hmm But I think it was my milk coming in and her guzzling like crazy and then her tummy getting used to it <sleep deprived memory>

Oh and congratulations grin

Samraves Fri 03-Dec-10 10:12:32

Oh that is an idea, I could phone the maternity centre, the midwives do carrying on checking little babies and giving advice...

Thanks for your advice, think I will call the midwives in the first instance... She seems so much calmer today and ok in herself, I just don't want to be a bad mum by ignoring something which can potentially be sorted and make her feel better.

I had heard that sometimes beastfed babies do do watery poos... Didn't think it meant that watery though! But they are mustard yellow and don't smell awful sorry if tmi!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: