Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

DDbeing monopolised by a class mate.

(5 Posts)
pongonperdy Thu 02-Dec-10 13:41:07

My DDis four and started reception in September. She made friends with one particular girl early on. I was pleased she seemed to made such good friends. However I have noticed that my DD never played or talks about other children. When I asked her about it she said X never let's me play with the other children and drags me away if I do.

My DD would prefer to play with lots of the children not just this one. I don't like the fact that she is being stopped from doing so. Other mums have come up to me saying X won't let their children play with my DD.

What should I do?

TheSugarPlumFairy Thu 02-Dec-10 16:50:19

this happened with my DSD a couple of years ago when she was in reception. She made friends with a particularly needy little girl who would not let any of the other children near her at playtime and would throw monumental tantrums if DSD tried to play with any of the other kids.

In the end we had a word with the teacher who was happy to intervene. She made sure that DSD was not paired with the friend for any work and would head off any issues in the playground. She also had a word with the little girls mum which helped.

The issue resolved very quickly after that. DSD circle of friends widened considerably and so did the little girls. She was just very insecure and needed a bit of support to make more friends.

HTH.

brimfull Thu 02-Dec-10 16:51:54

Happened to my dd in reception
Other girl is insecure
talk to teacher

apparently common problem in early yrs

solongandthanksfor Thu 02-Dec-10 17:34:18

This is happening with my dd - I posted on Primary about it.

Def speak to teacher - dd's teacher was well aware & keeps the two apart for any groups at school and they don't sit near each other. Playground assistants also aware so if dd is feeling smothered she knows (and has done this) that she can ask them for help.

I don't think it's been completely resolved yet, but this intervention has helped.

SkyBluePearl Thu 02-Dec-10 18:05:49

talk to the teacher and ask for her to be paired with other children where poss. Also set up play dates with other children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: